Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
And what is the default setting? You can only guess, because you can not see it.

Locked and hidden settings, that is not the same thing, I have never seen such a behaviour in any software. KAV is on my blacklist now.
whatever the default settings are, we should wait for the comparison between KFA and KIS especially the Heuristics and BB
it's because in any kaspersky's version, you can't increase or decrease the level of behavioral blocker, you can only change it to "ask" or " block"
about file antivirus, only heuristics can be changed, which is something related to the level of protection, the rest are caching and are related to scanning mode and performance settings

by default settings in previous version, heuristics was set to the lowest level - minimum

so if the test comes out and they have identical result, I think you should stop your negativity
I know you care more about signature-based AV rather than other features

about the AV with hidden settings, remember bitdefender free? :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
so if the test comes out and they have identical result, I think you should stop your negativity
I could not care less about the detection, that is just a part of a good AV, not everything, 100% detection does not excuse other bad behaviour, the devil is hidden in details, like forcing users to do something (just like CCleaner), a junk is a junk. Locked settings are just a part of it, there is also the inability to disable modes. I will definitely try to discourage anyone from using KAV Free from now, unless they change their stand.

L

Local Host

And what is the default setting? You can only guess, because you can not see it.

Locked and hidden settings, that is not the same thing, I have never seen such a behaviour in any software. KAV is on my blacklist now.
If you that interested in the default settings there's a FAQ available, Chapter 2.2. Real-Time Protection Management

Recommended is the default setting! You can change between low, recommended and high! The only thing blocked is custom profiles (where you can make your own set of settings).

Your negative behavior is unjustified and unwelcome.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So I should love KAV, because you do? I guess I should turn vegan, because you are as well. This topic is about pros and cons. While most wrote what is great about it, I wrote, what is bad and let users decide, if they want to use it or not, lets not force it, like KAV does it. :)

L

Local Host

So I should love KAV, because you do? I guess I should turn vegan, because you are as well. This topic is about pros and cons. While most wrote what is great about it, I wrote, what is bad and let users decide, if they want to use it or not, lets not force it, like KAV does it. :)
There's difference between debating pros and cons, and bashing a product for the sake of it. You're being extremely toxic towards Kaspersky, with comparisons and words that make no sense.
I respect other opinions and couldn't care less what you like or use, but I care if you spread hate and misinformation about a product.
You can check the FAQ to know what the current profiles changes, casual users won't need custom profiles (and Kaspersky needs something to make their paid product worth it, specially now they included System Watcher).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
BitDefender free.:)
There is nothing to disable, it is just a basic file shield based on signatures. ;)

but I care if you spread hate and misinformation about a product.
Quote any line, where I said anything like you claim I said, I doubt you will find any. I just posted facts, that is all. I am sorry, that you do not see it. By the way, I consider Bitdefender and Kaspersky to be the best paid AVs, and I always recommended them, that did not change.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@TairikuOkami said why he stopped liking Kaspresky free and why he will try to discourage anyone from using it. I do not agree with him, but I do not recognize such behavior as unjustified or unwelcome.(y)
Kaspersky free is directed to the average users, so the vendor thinks (probably true) that they are not interested to see the settings which cannot be configured.

L

Local Host

There is nothing to disable, it is just a basic file shield based on signatures. ;)

Quote any line, where I said anything like you claim I said, I doubt you will find any. I just posted facts, that is all. I am sorry, that you do not see it.
You state the settings are hidden when they're not, a FAQ is available that shows what each Profile does (any Kaspersky fan knows them by now).
You compared the situation to CCleaner, when one has nothing to do with the other, Kaspersky has privacy settings available.
Also black-listing Kaspersky? Really? You going out of your way to speak ill of a product to everyone you know and guide them to alternatives.
I understand your distress towards the custom profiles, but I gave my take on them, in the end what matters is how effective and useful the AV is for the casual user.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
that on/off switch includes file shield, web shield and behavior shield/active threat control
people are struggling disabling the web shield because it slows down their internet a lot

also people can't change the autoupdate interval and they can't perform the scan they want. BD free only has 1 fullscan setting, no quick scan
compared to the paid version, BD free removes everything for users to control

BD free is NOT an only signature-based AV

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
You state the settings are hidden when they're not, a FAQ is available that shows what each Profile does (any Kaspersky fan knows them by now).
You can not open settings and check them. Maybe you can view it online, but that only proves my point, it is not easily accessible.

Also black-listing Kaspersky? Really?
When I blacklist eating vegetables, why does it bother you? It is my blacklist, not yours. You can eat or install whatever you want. :LOL:

You going out of your way to speak ill of a product to everyone you know and guide them to alternatives.
Is not that, what everyone on this forum does, including you, recommending the product, they find to be the best? You are doing it right now.

BD free is NOT an only signature-based AV
Good one, I missed that. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
that on/off switch includes file shield, web shield and behavior shield/active threat control
people are struggling disabling the web shield because it slows down their internet a lot
It seems that we can disabling script injection, https scanning, and removing some scanned ports.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thanks for pointing that out. K may not be the ideal solution for those in Ukraine (and Georgia, and Chechnya, and Poland, and Slovak Republic, and Latvia...).
K are the only AV ads we have here in .lv domains and mailboxes, you won't ever see any other security solution advertising. Government infrastructure systems here uses Symantec, not K. Hospitals Win systems with outdated Avast! Business editions :X3: (Hospitals lacking IT techs), some use AV free Linux OpenSuse, because as they say, Windows requires updates/buying/maintaining software. You can't really say for sure what security products most people like here, but bassically it's just Windows systems with defaults. But some do buy Kaspersky here, although I haven't met one person using KFA, because there's no information about it here, and if it's not in the media, it doesn't exist. :D

Have a great time in lv, if you use Taxify app here, we might meet. FYI I take girls to forest, better don't wear short skirts. :love::ROFLMAO: (In lv it is "Doma laukums")

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I could not care less about the detection, that is just a part of a good AV, not everything, 100% detection does not excuse other bad behaviour, the devil is hidden in details, like forcing users to do something (just like CCleaner), a junk is a junk. Locked settings are just a part of it, there is also the inability to disable modes. I will definitely try to discourage anyone from using KAV Free from now, unless they change their stand.

What are those "other bad behavior" and the hidden devil you found in Kaspersky Free ? Explain.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
But is there any way to avoid browser slowing down while using kfa, since you cant have custom settings anymore?

With safe browsing habits, zero downloads comodo is just superior with zero inpact

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.