Eset Internet Security 2019
Avast Internet Security

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security for few years. But recently, Kasepersky has been automatically deleting some crypto apps. I have added these apps to trusted application as well as added to exclusions but still Kaspersky flags them or auto deletes them after few hours. Few days back, I followed @RoboMan 's Light Kaspersky Settings and haven't face such problems yet. But not sure how secure are these settings?

After going through few posts here, I have sorted out my choice of premium security suites for comparison - Emsisoft, Eset and Avast. They were recommended here by most for their security and being lightweight. However, Avast has been flagged for spying too.

Which one out of 4 (Kaspersky using Roboman's settings, Eset, Avast, Emsisoft) is best for lightweight and secure protection?

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
The lightest are ESET and Emsisoft, ESET is good and has a behaviour blocker with no options and that nobody has really seen in action. Banking browser is solid, same with the firewall, IDS and web filtration. My ESET license ended this year actually, I switched so I could configure my devices easily. Emsisoft has a solid behaviour blocker, settings are much easier in general and they use Bitdefender plus their own signatures which will offer amazing protection. MyEmsisoft allows you to configure Emsisoft settings on devices like you're in front of them, if you have multiple devices or manage multiple devices then this is a massive plus.

You'd be fine with either ESET or Emsisoft, even though I use Emsisoft I try not to be biased unlike some people here :p
Emsisoft is very privacy focused, doesn't play with certificates to inspect SSL traffic and the browser extension uses hashes which is faster and prevents them from ever knowing the websites you visit. Not a crisitism of ESET, they are still a private vendor.

I used Avast for several years concurrently, and after trying a few solutions, even came back to it for a few more years but these days - it's a spying, bloated, ad-filled mess. Avoid.

After the issues you had I assume you want to move away from Kaspersky, and I haven't used it since "PURE" so I can't comment on it from personal experience.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
In terms of overall protection Kaspersky is the best imo. Eset is the lightest with great protection and provides variety of options to tweak settings. Emsisoft provides great protection, has a brilliant behavior blocker, best for users privacy. I would avoid Avast because of spying.
As you're trying to move away from Kaspersky then I would suggest to use Emsisoft. Personally I like it more than Eset.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
The recommendations for the settings of RoboMan for Kaspersky are okay and by no means insecure.

You should never change a running system unless you have a plausible reason to do so. Your argument is that Kaspersky has recently deleted your crypto apps. Try Kaspersky for a few more days and see if it has improved. If so, then I would keep it :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Have you tried submitting the software Kaspersky is detecting as false positive to them? They are usually quick to remove false positives.

Anyway choosing a new antivirus should always follow a few simple rules. Download the trial, use it for its full extend, work with your computer normally, don't go throwing random malware samples at the product. Choose whatever does not cause you trouble and you feel comfortable with. No product will give you 100% protection.

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Even after implementing @RoboMan 's settings, Kaspersky stopped an app from starting.

Pausing Kaspersky opens the program.

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
After Kaspersky was auto deleting crypto programs, I tried Eset Security Premium. Now facing the same problem. Eset deleted crypto related Files and Folders automatically.

I had set Threatsense Parameters to Normal Cleaning. Eset displayed a prompt on some crypto files whereas it auto deleted few without any prompt. Checked Quarantine and those files/folders are not there to restore.

How to find and restore deleted files? And what other settings do I need to configure so that Eset does not auto delete files?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
After Kaspersky was auto deleting crypto programs, I tried Eset Security Premium. Now facing the same problem. Eset deleted crypto related Files and Folders automatically.

I had set Threatsense Parameters to Normal Cleaning. Eset displayed a prompt on some crypto files whereas it auto deleted few without any prompt. Checked Quarantine and those files/folders are not there to restore.

How to find and restore deleted files? And what other settings do I need to configure so that Eset does not auto delete files?
On the given settings thread, Application Control is set to automatically block execution of unknown software. So, your files are probably set as RESTRICTRED/UNSTRUSTED. You need to manually allow each blocked executable. If you don't like this, change the AC settings directly from the module. But this is the most secure module Kaspersky has.
Try moving all your crypto executables to a folder, and whitelisting the folder from the AC scanning.

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I have uninstalled Kaspersky and currently testing with Eset security premium. Though I have whitelisted the folder where all crypto installation exe files are stored, but Eset deleted installed folders from Appdata and Local under Users.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have uninstalled Kaspersky and currently testing with Eset security premium. Though I have whitelisted the folder where all crypto installation exe files are stored, but Eset deleted installed folders from Appdata and Local under Users.
Specifically what kind of apps are these crypto apps you mention that are so hated by AV?

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
AVs flag almost all crypto apps. This is one of the app that was auto deleted.

Only GUI wallet installation files/folders are auto deleted but not CLI wallet files.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I just tested the program you inked and only two programs detect it as Malicious. BKAV and ESET:

VirusTotal

I would set ESET to ask instead of automatic cleaning and then whitelist it from the detection dialogue.

Reactions: zkSnark

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.