List of Companion Antiviruses

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I do not think that EAM is designed to be a companion AV. Could you confirm that it could run with other antivirus softwares?
Or maybe you mean the "freeware mode" of EAM, which does not provide real-time protection?

By the way, it seems that the link to webroot SA has expired...

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I do not think that EAM is designed to be a companion AV. Could you confirm that it could run with other antivirus softwares?
Or maybe you mean the "freeware mode" of EAM, which does not provide real-time protection?

By the way, it seems that the link to webroot SA has expired...
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/
"Frequent Questions

Will it run on my PC?
It’s a popular myth that you shouldn’t run two antivirus programs at the same time. We have spent considerable time building Emsisoft Anti-Malware in a way that makes it compatible with almost all other antivirus programs!"

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Umbra : I am interested in the combination "CIS + EAM". But the only thread on this issue that I can find was posted nearly four years ago. How would you configure them if you use the combination of the lastest version of CIS and EAM?

In particular, could I enable the HIPS of CIS to enhance the protection? Or should I disable it to avoid any potential conflict between CIS HIPS and EAM BB?

I would appreciate it if you could talk something more about this combination.:)

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I had a Pentium 4 pc 3ghz cpu I used it for testing. I had Avast free ESET, MBAM Pro, MSE, and panda free all running at the same time and i never had problem, slower startup until they finished update and that's it after that no problem.

Reactions: Online_Sword
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@Umbra : I am interested in the combination "CIS + EAM". But the only thread on this issue that I can find was posted nearly four years ago. How would you configure them if you use the combination of the lastest version of CIS and EAM?

my guide is still valid, just adapt to the new version , the procedure is not much different.

In particular, could I enable the HIPS of CIS to enhance the protection? Or should I disable it to avoid any potential conflict between CIS HIPS and EAM BB?

both can be ran together. BB and HIPS works differently so you will not have issues, just be sure to make the exceptions properly.

CIS + EAM is one of the strongest combo available , when i made it few years ago, it becomes so popular here on MT that people called and still call it the "Umbra Virus" :D

H

hjlbx

Thread author

I would appreciate it if you could talk something more about this combination.:)

If you leave CIS HIPS enabled, you will get double alerts - from both EAM BB and CIS HIPS. Believe me, it's no good if you do not know how to operate CIS - and more importantly - how to handle alerts, establish exclusions in different modules, and fix problems.

Much better config for 1st-time use is EAM + Comodo Firewall; good AV\BB (quasi-HIPS) + good firewall = good security config.

The setup for this config is not difficult - just has to be done in correct order and proper exclusions set. A little time intensive.

Basically, must exclude C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware and C:\Program Files\Comodo from monitoring each other.

Comodo HIPS should be left off - since - Emsisoft Ltd is currently not in the Comodo TVL; turn on HIPS and it will detect every Emsisoft Ltd digitally signed module as Unrecognized and subsequently auto-sandbox them... will drive you bonkers - but you can easily fix it by adding the entire EAM folder to the CFW Trusted file list.

Emsisoft GmbH is in the Comodo TVL... but Christian Mairoll - Emsi CEO - moved company base of operation from Austria to New Zealand. So now, Emsisoft GmbH has been changed to Emsisoft Ltd. This slight difference will make CIS detect Emsi Ltd as Unrecognized... auto-sandboxes everything right now - until Emsi Ltd gets added to TVL.

Exclude the Comodo folder in EAM from File Guard, Behavior Blocker and AV scans.

Then turn on HIPS after excluding Emsi folder and adding all folder items to Trusted file list.

It might not work on some systems... and has caused BSOD. You won't know until you try.

That guide from 4 years ago for EAM + CIS still applies...

As you see, @Umbra is very fast...

Last edited by a moderator:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Much better config is EAM + Comodo Firewall; good AV\BB (quasi-HIPS) + good firewall = good security config.

Comodo HIPS should be left off - since - Emsisoft Ltd is currently not in the Comodo TVL; turn on HIPS and it will detect every Emsisoft Ltd digitally signed module as Unrecognized and subsequently auto-sandbox them... will drive you bonkers - but you can easily fix it by adding the entire EAM folder to the CFW Trusted file list.

I can understand that if I use CFW without D+ instead of CIS to combine with EAM, the compatibility will be better.
But, in such case, what I get is just a "pure" firewall. No real-time antivirus and no behavior blocker.
I think the combination "CIS + EAM" attractive only because it provides two layers of real-time antivirus and two layers of behavior blocker (Comodo D+ and EAM BB).
However, the compatibility issue are also significant and should be addressed carefully.
I will test this combination on the virtual machine when I am free.:)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
yes , because i'm so awesome that my guides dont need updates :p :D

By the way, I find that you are currently using SEP + EAM. How do you configure them to improve the compatibility? Have you ever considered to replace SEP in this combo with NS or NIS, as they have newer modules and techniques and customer service is available?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
By the way, I find that you are currently using SEP + EAM. How do you configure them to improve the compatibility?

i was just checking the combo , to see if it works , and it is. but i dont need EAM in my setup.

add active SEP processes in EAM's File Guard exclusion list. and EAM's ones in SEP exclusions of AV & Sonar.

Have you ever considered to replace SEP in this combo with NS or NIS, as they have newer modules and techniques and customer service is available?

Never , SEP is way above NIS , remember SEP is for Corporations and companies so way stronger than NIS. if a home user get his system screwed , it is not big deal for Symantec, one license lost ; if a corporation get screwed , that is a huge issue since the company may shift from SEP to another suite and symantec loosing lot of incomes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  1. AVG Antivirus
  2. Comodo Free Antivirus
  3. Avira Antivirus
  4. Norton Antivirus
  5. McAfee
  6. Kaspersky
These are NOT companion Antivirus software. Nowhere on their website does it claim to compatible with other Antivirus software.

Some 'companion antivirus' may state they are compatible, but if the other isn't then don't expect them to play nice. For example, Bitdefender will perform a pre-check before installing their Antivirus and providing a recommendation to uninstall any other AV.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I have installed the latest version of CIS and EAM simultaneously on the virtual machine (vmware player + win 8.1 pro x86).
I keep all their default settings except excluding them from each other.
HIPS has been disabled by default since CIS 7, so I do not enable it.
The real-time antivirus and auto-sandbox of CIS, as well as the file guard, behavior blocker and surf protection of EIS, are all enabled.

CIS + EAM.PNG

Until now, no BSOD has happened. I have tried to decompress some malware packs. It seems that their real-time scanning does not conflict with each other.

The problem now is that this combination significantly slows down something, especially when some programs are launched for the first time.

By the way, Emsisoft Ltd has already been added into the "Trusted Vendor List" by default.( @hjlbx ):)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Is Microsoft Security Essentials a compatible AV? Remember a couple of years ago when the spokeswoman made a big uproar by suggesting using MSE with another more serious AV?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.