List of Companion Antiviruses

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's how the advantage of being official as companion AV since those alerts and compatibility are carefully analyzed which why Webroot is examined thoroughly.

Reactions: mal1

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
More companion antiviruses:
Absolute Antivirus
Kompas Antivirus

Most of the time companion antiviruses don't mention their compatibility on their homepages because they want people to think in terms of their product as a no.1 solution. I'm pretty sure these are compatible:
Advanced SystemCare Ultimate
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ (recently in their case)

I believe the whole Clam family is compatible:
ClamAV
Immunos
ClamWin Free Antivirus/Clam Sentinel (adds realtime protection)

According to ccm.net :
Even if you have already installed an anti-virus on your computer, you can install Avast as a second anti-virus software for more safety thanks to compatibility mode.

I welcome correction or particular information in regard to any of these products.

Somehow when I was editing, the website removed one of the AVs that I did not choose to remove. In the second paragraph with the other two antiviruses I'm pretty sure are companion AVs should be Tiranium Internet Security 2014 - Free.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Panda is a standalone AV , it cant be used as companion, that is it.

It is why i created this thread in the first place, i was an heavy AV "chef" here, testing compatibility between several AVs.

What you must know is that companion AVs are designed to let priority to the main AV. They kick-in only if the main doesnt react to a threat.

Using 2 main AVs may create a conflict when catching a malware. both fighting to quarantine it. I dont even mention driver issues.

In my sig you have a link for a guide about using 2 AVs

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Yes absolutely! Nobody would think of augmenting Avira's detection by Panda or Webroot. The whole idea is obviously meant to make use of Panda's cloud, and I know that, unlike Webroot, Panda wasn't designed to supplement other AVs. I'm just asking about educated-guess feedback.

Key words in my question are compatibility and cloud (not detection or resources).

Panda added to Avira Free is NOT a wise way to go... both are big AV installations, and should be used on their own. Pandas cloud would do no help along side Avira both lack ZERO DAY protection.

It would be like having two firewalls; and no Antivirus,
Example: Zone Alarm Firewall + Comodo's... both working at same time, can cause unknown conflicts etc.

I plan to add an extra layer to my Avira Free, with Crystal Security. You can also try a 3rd party Firewall with Avira.... would be a good defense against malwares.

Reactions: mal1 and Rebsat

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
It seems that webroot does not declare in its official website that it can be used as a companion antivirus...?

Reactions: Rebsat
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
It seems that webroot does not declare in its official website that it can be used as a companion antivirus...?

It can, i can confirm it because i closed-beta test it since its creation, it was when Prevx becames Webroot. At that time , they explicitly mentioned it.

During my years of testing, i learned that WSA will kicks in only in the case if your main AV doesnt react about a threat.

I have a thread in Webroot section explaining all that (with quotes from the devs)

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
@Umbra I heard something that Avira Free Anti-Virus is compatible and working good with other Anti-Viruses.
I have Emsisoft Internet Security installed on my system. Can I install Avira Free Anti-Virus along with it?
I really appreciate your assistance bro :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rebsat: Emsisoft is design to be compatible to other AV based on FAQ, so try to experiment and see for possible conflicts. ;)

Reactions: Rebsat

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
in my Windows 8.1 running Avira Free + Premium Mbam together and do not have any problems with them work very well, I am very pleased with their work.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Was going into Crystal Security for information.
Got this message notification from my office laptop. Using Sophos Endpoint Protection. False Positive?
Yes, Crystal Security is definitely not a virus

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

added

Most of the time companion antiviruses don't mention their compatibility on their homepages because they want people to think in terms of their product as a no.1 solution. I'm pretty sure these are compatible:
Advanced SystemCare Ultimate
Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ (recently in their case)

I believe the whole Clam family is compatible:
ClamAV
Immunos
ClamWin Free Antivirus/Clam Sentinel (adds realtime protection)

According to ccm.net :

I welcome correction or particular information in regard to any of these products.

im not sure either so i wont add them right now unless someone can confirm they are

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
But do not install Avira + Panda, its a horrible combination that slows down the system quite noticeably.

that is obvious since none of them is a companion AV...

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It might be for the best to remove Emsisoft from the list considering the following
Could EAM still be used as a companion antivirus? - Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Emsisoft Support Forums
"The thing with compatibility is that it outright blocks a whole bunch of features we would like to add. That is why we no longer recommend using EAM alongside any other AV software. At the moment we are still compatible with pretty much all of them and if we can easily work around a conflict we will still do so. However, we no longer consider a degradation of compatibility a blocker for new features."

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Here's another one.

Celframe Free Antivirus

Facebook - Twitter Secured

The first and only security software for the most used Facebook - Twttier social networking users providing you with security from threats such as hackers, identity theft, spyware, malware, bots, virus and much more.

Standalone or Companion Support

Celframe Antivirus can work as Standalone or run side-by-side as a Companion Antivirus if you already own and running an Antivirus. Celframe Antivirus delivers you Choice and doubles your Protection.

Read more at
Celframe - Free Antivirus Product Features

Interesting chart at Celframe - Free Antivirus Product Comparison where Celframe compares its product favorably with Avira and AVG.

No posts at its forum, so it looks like the product is having a hard time getting of the ground.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.