Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
hmmm... time to renew my F-Secure (originally Total) and I had 3 licenses. For now, I only need one license, and F-Secure's reply to that is (seems to be) to charge me more $$USD for one license. F-Secure wants $90US for Internet Security & VPN. I don't really need their vpn, but I have used it when running VM with F-Secure. The cost just seems a tad high to me, so I think I will let F-Secure expire and use this VM for something else. I like F-Secure but the cost seems non-competitive, and I'm not in the mood to hunt for a deal. Anyone else paying $90US/year for F-Secure with its vpn?

Solution
Hi,

First I want to thank all those who trust us.

I though I can provide more information about the renewal strategy of F-Secure which can help users.

F-Secure like almost all other brands (excluding Emsisoft) try to push users to purchase their software directly from there.

Kaspersky, Avast and AVG, Norton and many others are the same. In case of Avast, their support even told our customers several times that their license key is not legit! And when we contacted their our account manager, they said sorry .. this was a misunderstanding. And this happened several times.

In case of F-Secure, you can always add licenses bought from their resellers and add it to your account. Actually F-Secure is kind of more fair than others mentioned...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I understand your concern about the cost of renewing your F-Secure license. While I am just a bot and cannot provide specific information about pricing or other users' experiences, I can suggest exploring alternative options for antivirus and VPN services. There are various providers available in the market with different pricing structures and features, so you might find a more affordable option that suits your needs.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would look at the price on serialcart.com:
You can get an addition discount as valued MT member:
Directly from an AV vendor is almost never a good deal.

Upvote 0

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
This is what I see on their site for FSecure Total which includes the VPN.
Screenshot 2023-10-13 133731.png

Upvote 0

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Afaik that's the way for most av. The first year is cheap and then you either hunt for bargains or pay the full price.
If I would have to decide for a new av I would take into consideration what the prices are from the software sellers labeled "authorized reseller/dealer" on e.g. ebay. I wouldn't want to switch AV every year. But that's my personal view to things :D

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This is what I see on their site for FSecure Total which includes the VPN.
View attachment 279101
Yes THANks, that is the price I was expecting to see, $39 for 1 device, and I would have gladly renewed at that price. So either something is wrong with their website, or I find this tactic of changing more for renewals once you are a happy customer (& I liked F-Secure!) a poor business practice from customer point of view. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and NOT inclined to continue to do business with them. Saddens me to report this. I was gone for the weekend, have not seen all email, I'll see if FS sent me any email, perhaps there was a mistake...??

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
you can delete your account then re-sign up again with the same email within few minutes.
perhaps, but that seems circularly stupid to me, ie, poor business practice, (my 2 cents). FS sent me email to renew and also FS app was giving me popups to renew -- I feel like an unvalued customer when they want me to renew for $90 when if I delete my account I can create a new account and pay $39. IMO repeat continuing customers should be offered a slight discount for renewing not be charged double or triple. imo fwiw, (obviously not worth much to FS as I ended up not renewing and no longer using FS)

Reactions: Nevi and russ0408
Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I banned F-Secure from my PCs because I'm not ready to use F-Secure Total with all the features I don't need on my computers. Now Windows Defender protects my computers at no additional cost.
...that's what I ended up doing on my VM too, I uninstalled the expired FS Total and running MS Defender with either AndyFul hardening tools or VS CyberLock.

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Afaik that's the way for most av. The first year is cheap and then you either hunt for bargains or pay the full price.
If I would have to decide for a new av I would take into consideration what the prices are from the software sellers labeled "authorized reseller/dealer" on e.g. ebay. I wouldn't want to switch AV every year. But that's my personal view to things :D
unfortunately, you are correct, re pay the "full price," but that is just some sort of hyped-up price imo.

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I will be interested to see what happens and how they treat you, as my license expires in April of 2024. You would think they would be more accommodating in giving a "we want you to stay with us" discount. It may not be a promotional price, but at least with Bitdefender if you opt out of auto-renewal, they will offer you a better price about 2 weeks before renewal, even if you have to contact them about it, they will work with you.

edit: I just saw your post above as I was typing, sounds like you resolved it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.