Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
hmmm... time to renew my F-Secure (originally Total) and I had 3 licenses. For now, I only need one license, and F-Secure's reply to that is (seems to be) to charge me more $$USD for one license. F-Secure wants $90US for Internet Security & VPN. I don't really need their vpn, but I have used it when running VM with F-Secure. The cost just seems a tad high to me, so I think I will let F-Secure expire and use this VM for something else. I like F-Secure but the cost seems non-competitive, and I'm not in the mood to hunt for a deal. Anyone else paying $90US/year for F-Secure with its vpn?

Solution
Hi,

First I want to thank all those who trust us.

I though I can provide more information about the renewal strategy of F-Secure which can help users.

F-Secure like almost all other brands (excluding Emsisoft) try to push users to purchase their software directly from there.

Kaspersky, Avast and AVG, Norton and many others are the same. In case of Avast, their support even told our customers several times that their license key is not legit! And when we contacted their our account manager, they said sorry .. this was a misunderstanding. And this happened several times.

In case of F-Secure, you can always add licenses bought from their resellers and add it to your account. Actually F-Secure is kind of more fair than others mentioned...

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Like some members already adviced: go check Serialcart :). Great deals and also you can buy licenses for multiple years. You can also send a message to @SerialCart if you need something customized. He always try to help MT-members.
yes we have been in contact with each other re this. Still unlikely that I will buy an FS license as I disagree with this (their) business model re license renewals.

Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Going through my F-Secure portal and clicking on the Renew now button, I was shown this offer. It is for a 3-device subscription. I would just need to contact them and see what they can offer me for my current 7-device subscription. I don't know why they broke Total down into 3 separate components, as I thought that was part of the Total package? Maybe to make the "savings" look more appealing?

f secure.jpg

Upvote 0

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
yes we have been in contact with each other re this. Still unlikely that I will buy an FS license as I disagree with this (their) business model re license renewals.
Hello Simmerskool,

Can't you add a renew license code in the F-secure subscription options?

1697572393035.png

I never tried it myself. My current license is valid until 2024.

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello Simmerskool,

Can't you add a renew license code in the F-secure subscription options?

View attachment 279185
I never tried it myself. My current license is valid until 2024.
Well unclear. When I logged-in to my FS account, it directed me to renew 1 license for $90. Apparently, this is a somewhat standard AV business practice, as I was looking at another AV vendor and the renewal cost was more than FS! But that company very clearly stated what the initial cost was and what the renewal will be costing. I used Eset for several years and never paid much attention to what I guess were automatic renewals (I must have busy doing other things). :whistle:

Upvote 0

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I used F-Secure for several years because it was a reliable and lightweight AV program. Since F-Secure now only imposes a software package with F-Secure Total that, in addition to the AV program, also contains modules that I do not want or need, I have finally separated from F-Secure. I just don't like these software bundles and will only use Windows Defender together with ConfigureDefender. This also saves me money.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well unclear. When I logged-in to my FS account, it directed me to renew 1 license for $90. Apparently, this is a somewhat standard AV business practice, as I was looking at another AV vendor and the renewal cost was more than FS! But that company very clearly stated what the initial cost was and what the renewal will be costing. I used Eset for several years and never paid much attention to what I guess were automatic renewals (I must have busy doing other things). :whistle:
No point to renewal sub throught their official site , just buy cheap key for total security from elsewhere ( serialcart/kinguin/gamivo/g2a) you end up paying 20 usd / year for total security

Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I used F-Secure for several years because it was a reliable and lightweight AV program. Since F-Secure now only imposes a software package with F-Secure Total that, in addition to the AV program, also contains modules that I do not want or need, I have finally separated from F-Secure. I just don't like these software bundles and will only use Windows Defender together with ConfigureDefender. This also saves me money.
As far as I know, they still offer Internet Security, which does not include a password manager or VPN. Unless it's not available everywhere?

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
As far as I know, they still offer Internet Security, which does not include a password manager or VPN. Unless it's not available everywhere?

They help you to activate old licenses , but thats alot of emailing with them ,i didnt bother with that so i bought new license

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@ Jonny Quest
I mean that F-Secure Internet Security will be discontinued after November 30, 2023.
it is discontinued indeed, but if you have old license activated or not activated , you can upgrade to total security for free

Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@ Jonny Quest
I mean that F-Secure Internet Security will be discontinued after November 30, 2023.
Thanks, I forgot about that, in that they're advertising it, and not notifying us that it will be discontinued. Time for Prevagen..lol :)

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
No point to renewal sub throught their official site , just buy cheap key for total security from elsewhere ( serialcart/kinguin/gamivo/g2a) you end up paying 20 usd / year for total security
yes understood, but my "concern" is against this business practice for all vendors who try to force unsuspecting users to officially renew at 2x or 3x the original price -- for me sad to see FS doing this. my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Hi,

I though I can provide more information about the renewal strategy of F-Secure which can help users.

F-Secure like almost all other brands (excluding Emsisoft) try to push users to purchase their software directly from there.

Kaspersky, Avast and AVG, Norton and many others are the same. In case of Avast, their support even told our customers several times that their license key is not legit! And when we contacted their our account manager, they said sorry .. this was a misunderstanding. And this happened several times.

In case of F-Secure, you can always add licenses bought from their resellers and add it to your account. Actually F-Secure is kind of more fair than others mentioned as they let the user to enter their license key to their account and not directly into the software.

This way the user has the power of removing a device and adding an another one. In case of Avast this is not possible and users can not add and manage reseller licenses to their Avast account.

Here we explained that how you can activate F-Secure Safe (similar to Total Security) using a F-Secure license key:

Finally, so far only Emsisoft has had a really clean and clear activation instructions and has been fair to their resellers.

Disclaimer:
I am not trying to advertise any brand or our shop here, you should choose an offer which is best for you. I am just trying to clarify the question which you had about F-Secure and I believe that based on our experience it was a bit unfair towards F-Secure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hi,

In case of F-Secure, you can always add licenses bought from their resellers and add it to your account. Actually F-Secure is kind of more fair than others mentioned as they let the user to enter their license key to their account and not directly into the software.

This way the user has the power of removing a device and adding an another one. In case of Avast this is not possible and users can not add and manage reseller licenses to their Avast account.

Here we explained that how you can activate F-Secure Safe (similar to Total Security) using a F-Secure license key:

Finally, so far only Emsisoft has had a really clean and clear activation instructions and has been fair to their resellers.

Disclaimer:
I am not trying to advertise any brand or our shop here, you should choose an offer which is best for you. I am just trying to clarify the question which you had about F-Secure and I believe that based on our experience it was a bit unfair about F-Secure.
Thanks I will get with you about a new F-Secure license as soon as I've paid for my iphone 15 Pro... :whistle::D

Upvote 0

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I think I'm going to do the same as you Simmer, ditch FSecure. I've been using Safe for awhile now but its discontinued soon.

Strike 1: Posted a question on their forum for staff 2 days ago and no answer yet.
Strike 2: Logging into their forum has been super hard, couldn't do it at all yesterday afternoon, kept getting an error, got in today but clicking on my post results in a white screen. ( Not my security programs, all my other forum log-ins work.)
Strike 3: I can get a 1 device 2 year price from them for $ 131.07 Canadian, the kicker is, it shows renewal price as $436.35.o_O Yah right!!

Going to try Defender with Configure Defender and a secondary program to be determined.

Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I think I'm going to do the same as you Simmer, ditch FSecure. I've been using Safe for awhile now but its discontinued soon.

Strike 1: Posted a question on their forum for staff 2 days ago and no answer yet.
Strike 2: Logging into their forum has been super hard, couldn't do it at all yesterday afternoon, kept getting an error, got in today but clicking on my post results in a white screen. ( Not my security programs, all my other forum log-ins work.)
Strike 3: I can get a 1 device 2 year price from them for $ 131.07 Canadian, the kicker is, it shows renewal price as $436.35.o_O Yah right!!

Going to try Defender with Configure Defender and a secondary program to be determined.
Same thing I just went through. It took 3 days to get an answer to my question. I find that forum very hard to work with, I couldn't even reply to their post, but only to acknowledge that it had been answered. Then yesterday I also got a "you don't have permission to be here" notice when trying to log in. I like my Total Security, but their forum and its support is really lacking.

Upvote 0

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Same thing I just went through. It took 3 days to get an answer to my question. I find that forum very hard to work with, I couldn't even reply to their post, but only to acknowledge that it had been answered. Then yesterday I also got a "you don't have permission to be here" notice when trying to log in. I like my Total Security, but their forum and its support is really lacking.
Yah, its a bit of a mess. Too bad, because I like FSecure although I'm not sure if I'm fond of the extras in Total such as VPN, Password Manager and ID Monitoring. Tried the ID Monitoring, seems to work well, and the VPN is a bit slower than Windscribe.

Upvote 0

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Yah, its a bit of a mess. Too bad, because I like FSecure although I'm not sure if I'm fond of the extras in Total such as VPN, Password Manager and ID Monitoring. Tried the ID Monitoring, seems to work well, and the VPN is a bit slower than Windscribe.
I agree, I use their PM and VPN as backups, my main ones being Mullvad and 1Password, which works with Brave.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.