SpyShelter Celebrates It’s 8th Birthday - Have you ever tried this program?

SpyShelter Celebrates It’s 8th Birthday - Have you ever tried this program?

• Yes

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • No, however I'm planning to give it a try

Votes: 10 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

HIPS as we know them are dead since Behavior Blockers appeared. Few geeks still use them, most vendors prefers BB because their users won't have much decisions to make.
Less decisions = less errors = less support tickets = less costs.

Comodo's power was its HIPS , then they added a BB, then disabled the HIPS by default... just that means everything about the decline of the HIPS over the years.

As much as I dislike that company's personality, the software is good. Not as good as Outpost was, but way better than Comodo which is entirely unstable in my usage. If spyshelter dies there's going to be nothing left that's going to leave buggy comodo and nobody else will be incentivized to create a similar software. That will be the end of user control on Windows. Every other soft is about automated control.

SpyShelter HIPS in the right hands is more powerful protection than any internet security suite can ever hope to be. Automated decision making can never replace human manual if the human making the decisions has the knowledge. The unknowledgeable out there want automated because they can't handle decision making so that is what the industry is attempting to deliver - and one day that automation is going to kill us all (just like SkyNet).

Consumers are partly the reason that products are killed or die off. It is supply-and-demand. That in itself would be a highly complex discussion pertaining to security softs.

Last edited by a moderator:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Lifetime licenses sale was discontinued so they will go smoothly with yearly licenses up to an extent when they`ll return with lifetime licenses again. It might be a very good strategy.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I bet they sell the company or go out of business before they sell lifetime licenses again.

It's because of lifetime licenses that they almost went out of business.

Better, as they are awful as support but good for software. I`m sorry i didn`t purchase a LTL at the right time.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have been using ZAL, Spyshelter, Ghostpress and Keyscrambler. They cause more issues than they fix. Using Keyscrambler right now and I am seriously considering to scrap it. What's even the point? Yes it encrypts keystrokes on the surface but they can still be collected through other means. I just with 3rd party AVs wouldn't blindly whitelist Windows processes that log keystrokes for that oh so holy Cortana search engine...

Reactions: shmu26

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
They actually disabled a bunch of lifetime licenses. At least that is what some people report. They're self-imploding.

So, better i didn`t buy it. I still have a 1 year unused key for their Spyshlter Premium.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I have been using ZAL, Spyshelter, Ghostpress and Keyscrambler. They cause more issues than they fix.
We are in SpyShelter thread so could you describe...show...that "more issues than it fix"?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
We are in SpyShelter thread so could you describe...show...that "more issues than it fix"?
For example, they disable keyboard input in virtually all games. They don't work with Microsoft Edge. In fact they don't work with anything that does not allow hooks and dll injections.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
D

Deleted member 65228

For example, they disable keyboard input in virtually all games.
Yeah, that can be a problem. Try white-listing the games. Maybe you can report to them and see if they can make a game white-list database to help fix this.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Here's a couple examples:
1 I tried to change default save location in MS Word, and the change was not accepted.
After ininstalling SSFW, it worked.

2 I tried to send a fax from PC, using HP officejet multi-purpose printer, from Chrome. The print job kept getting cancelled. Spyshelter support said to disable firewall module. I did better than that: I uninstalled SSFW altogether.

And let's not even talk about compatibility problems with other security softs.

Last edited:

Aluno

Level 1
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
I am a user of SSFW and in the past SSP I never had any issue with that or ms office or edge or printing using HP program by wifi or cable connection.
Now i using SSFW with for example Arcabit IS or ESET or securaplus and ist good.
Maybe it was a unit error, or there was something corrupted in the windows.
I am a player too , origin games or steam working fine in my case

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
For example, they disable keyboard input in virtually all games. They don't work with Microsoft Edge. In fact they don't work with anything that does not allow hooks and dll injections.
Your statement is so vague that it's hard sey something concrete...but I'll try:
- which was the last version you used?...more than two years ago ver. 10.2 fixed Edge incompatibility...
- and you can always enable protection level "Allow Microsoft"
- SS has not only keystroke encryption feature and BTW it can be disabled...if no...
- you can enable such feature for certain apps or disable for some others (Keystroke Encryption/Process Filter tab)
- you can also change Hook Guard protection (Keystroke Encryption/Advanced tab)
- online games issue (Steam/Origin was fixed - v.10.5 and 10.9) and they are already on list excluded processes (Keystroke Encryption/Process Filter tab)
At the end...I'm using SS from 2010...almost 8 years with SS on XP, Vista, Win7 and 8.1...and I don't remember about some serious issues...incompatibilities...errors...you are perhaps very unlucky user...
:devil:

D

Deleted member 65228

online games issue (Steam/Origin was fixed - v.10.5 and 10.9)
I think you are right, I recon this is a conflict problem because I've only just realised what was said in this thread.

@DeepWeb said he/she is using "ZAL, Spyshelter, Ghostpress and Keyscrambler"... Four anti-loggers at once? C'mon... Use one anti-logger only, you don't need multiple!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am a user of SSFW and in the past SSP I never had any issue with that or ms office or edge or printing using HP program by wifi or cable connection.
Regular printing is not the problem. Fax printer is the problem. SS support told me if it is wifi connection, disable firewall module.
Anyways, if the program works properly for you, that's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.