Advice Request Two questions about uBlock Origin Medium Mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Block_shield

Level 1
Thread author
May 9, 2021
Hello guys, I decide to post here since I didn't see uBlock origin thread. I have a couple of questions about it. I watched this video and decided to go with uBlock origin medium mode:

1. In this video it is stated that if I check bock "I am an advanced user" that I would get 3 colums (for global and local filter) in filtering mode, but in my case I only have two. Why? This video is a little older maybe there was an update and now is only two colums?
malware-tips.png

2. For antivirus I have Kaspersky cloud free, on every page in uBlock origin (colums to block globaly or locally) I have entry "kaspersky-labs.com". I must keep this allowed for antivirus to work on web pages right, otherwise I would lose web protection?
3. Any advice what I can block in google parts(font.googleapis.com, gstatic.com, fonts.gstatic.com,...) without breaking sites? It would spare me some time...
4. Do you activate only this filter in filter list as recommended by Github?

• All of uBlock Origin's filter lists: checked
  • EasyList: checked
  • Peter Lowe’s Ad server list: checked
  • EasyPrivacy: checked
  • Online Malicious URL Blocklist‎: checked
Can I check some other filters, will there be any conflict if I have them too many on? I don't use facebook so I can maybe activate annoyances/anti-facebook filter in Filter lists?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello guys, I decide to post here since I didn't see uBlock origin thread. I have a couple of questions about it. I watched this video and decided to go with uBlock origin medium mode:

1. In this video it is stated that if I check bock "I am an advanced user" that I would get 3 colums (for global and local filter) in filtering mode, but in my case I only have two. Why? This video is a little older maybe there was an update and now is only two colums?
malware-tips.png

2. For antivirus I have Kaspersky cloud free, on every page in uBlock origin (colums to block globaly or locally) I have entry "kaspersky-labs.com". I must keep this allowed for antivirus to work on web pages right, otherwise I would lose web protection?
3. Any advice what I can block in google parts(font.googleapis.com, gstatic.com, fonts.gstatic.com,...) without breaking sites? It would spare me some time...
4. Do you activate only this filter in filter list as recommended by Github?

• All of uBlock Origin's filter lists: checked
  • EasyList: checked
  • Peter Lowe’s Ad server list: checked
  • EasyPrivacy: checked
  • Online Malicious URL Blocklist‎: checked
Can I check some other filters, will there be any conflict if I have them too many on? I don't use facebook so I can maybe activate annoyances/anti-facebook filter in Filter lists?

1. Yes, because the video is older, the allow mode is not there anymore, you have block or noop, because Raymond Hill found that most people wrongly used allow instead of noop.
2. Yes, keep kaspersky-labs.com allowed for it to work on webpages.
3. Not really, maybe other can chime in, but generally you need googleapis and gstatic for sites to function.
4. With more filters, there is a great risk of site breakage. Personally I would add AdGuard Annoyances, AdGuard Social Media and for Facebook use the settings from the wiki here: gorhill/uBlock

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Install the Kaspersky Browser Extension if you didn't when Kaspersky asked. If you do so then you won't see the "kaspersky-labs.com" entry in uBlock Origin anymore.

Block_shield

Level 1
Thread author
May 9, 2021
In the adblocker test page here: Ad Blocker Test
You can see Google stuff that must be blocked.

Thx, I got 100% results, only when I scroll down there is red field in Samsung field (smetric.samsung), probably nothing serious.

3. Not really, maybe other can chime in, but generally you need googleapis and gstatic for sites to function.
4. With more filters, there is a great risk of site breakage. Personally I would add AdGuard Annoyances, AdGuard Social Media and for Facebook use the settings from the wiki here: gorhill/uBlock
3. I tried couple of pages with gstatic and googleapis blocked and everything is working fine. If I see page breakage I will revert to default option for that google things.
4. Activated those filters and put those 3 Facebook block rules in Ublock origin settings -> My rules (y)
Install the Kaspersky Browser Extension if you didn't when Kaspersky asked. If you do so then you won't see the "kaspersky-labs.com" entry in uBlock Origin anymore.
I will enable it in Ublock origin.

So Kaspersky browser extension is must have for improved protection?

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Another tip from personal experience is: Do not worry about it nor overthink it. At first, it will be overwhelming with both unblocking some domains using the panel and the logger for some more specific filter rules. Also, you can block/unblock a specific sub-domain when available in the panel by clicking on the main domain first.

E.g. click google.com and sub.google.com appears beneath it.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I am using the dynamic filtering option for two reasons:

1. Blocking what Edge strict mode and Adguard DNS filter miss with dynamic filtering (my rules)
I am using Edge anti-tracking in strict mode. I used to add Kees1958 most common EU-US blocklist, but since I am using Next DNS with Adguard DNS blocklist I use uBO to deal with the trackers Edge misses in Strict mode (I am not usinh Kees1958list anymore). Currently I have 21 domains blocked as third-party with dynamic filtering.

2. Block all when visiting malware websites
I am using bock all when running Edge in Application Guard. I know Edge AG runs in a VM sandbox, so malicious code can do no harm, but I like to see what is happening using uBO's logger.After I opened the website, I usually noop the top domain and all websites with CDN and some common web-libraries and internet services.

With Chrome's Content Security Policies restrictions I think medium mode is something only Firefox users might need. Edge and Chrome users could used Kees1958 easy medium mode to allown only the country and Top Level Domains you normally visit. This is a low maintenance reduction of 30 to 40 percent of the attack surface with minimal functional impact

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.