Not open for further replies.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Also if people don't want to do the registry fix. If you set the service to Automatic Delayed Start, It does start up correctly then except delayed of course. I guess it starting up is dependent on another service that hasn't started yet.
Hmmm, that is interesting... that might give me a clue what this is happening, thank you!

P

plat1098

You cannot disrespect and silence someone year after year, start an argument with them, then delete their post when they prove you wrong, and then not expect them to react.

I believe all involved parties should write an open letter so everyone can understand what really happened.

Either way, believe me, you guys are going to know what happened very soon.

OK, because it's still bothersome that overnight, Wilders went from being the VoodooShield source to the recipient of second- and third-hand news. Some closure would be a very decent and respectful thing.

The high CPU issue is the main thing. When that is resolved, it'll be a pleasure to put 4.0 beta back on here For clarification, do you recommend removing every last vestige of any previous VS installations or not necessary?

Thanks,

plat.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
OK, because it's still bothersome that overnight, Wilders went from being the VoodooShield source to the recipient of second- and third-hand news. Some closure would be a very decent and respectful thing.

The high CPU issue is the main thing. When that is resolved, it'll be a pleasure to put 4.0 beta back on here For clarification, do you recommend removing every last vestige of any previous VS installations or not necessary?

Thanks,

plat.
People have a right to know what is up. They will know soon.

Yeah, I am working on these few bugs... please keep in mind it is a beta. Usually it takes a long time to work out all of the bugs, but we are in great shape. Honestly, I worked my ass off and there were times that totally sucked, but now it is worth it. I have to admit, it was a lot of fun too ;).

Also, keep in mind that my stopwatch timer (yes, a simple freaking timer that I use to track my time for my clients) STILL does not work on my phone... after close to a year. If the phone OS devs cannot fix a simple timer control, which literally should be 3-5 lines of code, then I do not feel so bad ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Guys, let's please try to tone it down about the Wilders fiasco. If we keep up the banter, then this thread, too, will start to see moderator intervention, and eventually get nuked.
It's all good... I will not be posting the whole story on here. But people do have the right to hear everyone's side.

Mr.Gump

Level 1
Sep 6, 2017
hi Dan so happy to have found this forum and to be able to remain updated. One question though, to play devils advocate, seeing as we are all security minded; how would one be reasonably sure this is a legit VS forum and that this is actually Dan?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
hi Dan so happy to have found this forum and to be able to remain updated. One question though, to play devils advocate, seeing as we are all security minded; how would one be reasonably sure this is a legit VS forum and that this is actually Dan?
rofl, get out the tinfoil hats, I feel a conspiracy coming :p

faircot

Level 1
Mar 31, 2014

You're right to be worried. The picture Dan posted in his profile looks nothing like how I remember him. But perhaps it's the strain of developing v4 that's changed him!

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This will fix the startup prob:

@scootnod said:
It looks like if you uninstall the old version before installing the 4.0 beta version it removes the registry key C:\Program Files\VoodooShield\VoodooShield.exe from HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run.
You can manually add it back by creating a new String Value called VoodooShield with the value C:\Program Files\VoodooShield\VoodooShield.exe in this location.
May try that, or wait for a fix. Strange that it only happens on one machine. I used Revo Uninstaller on both.

@danb

All working normally except for high cpu usage of main exe: 25-30% constantly. If i reboot, then initially cpu is less than 5%, but after opening and closing applications it rises, reaches 30% and never drops again.
Seeing something similar, but it is variable. May try disabling scanning of child processes.
@mekelek reckon that %appdata% does not get deleted when deleting VS Program data folder with Revo.
No VS appdata files on Win 10 as far as I can see.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well, I am sure that the real Dan would stand up pretty fast, if there was an impostor speaking in his place, right here in public, in the middle of a well-established (25 pages) thread on a leading security forum...

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
BTW, whoever is having an issue with VS not starting on startup, can you please post the following info?

Is UAC enabled?
Are you running as a limited user?
What other security software are you running?

The regedit fix that you guys came up with is cool because it will work as a temporary fix, but we need to fix this permanently, so that the GUI starts from the service. Otherwise, when multiple users log in and out, VS will not start... along with other issues. Anyway, if we cannot find a fix for the token issue, we have a couple of other options.

Thank you guys for tracking down the high CPU utilization bug... I have not looked at it yet, but if you guys have it narrowed down that far, it should be a 5 minute fix.
UAC - max
User - Admin
Security software - ERP (alert mode) | AG (allow installs) | VS | EAM | HmP.A (beta) | AppCheck | Sbie | Adguard | Glasswire | FIDES (external drive only)

Also if people don't want to do the registry fix. If you set the service to Automatic Delayed Start, It does start up correctly then except delayed of course. I guess it starting up is dependent on another service that hasn't started yet.

Yip, that works! Thanks. :sneaky: :)

Edit: Not always.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
BTW, whoever is having an issue with VS not starting on startup, can you please post the following info?

Is UAC enabled?
Are you running as a limited user?
What other security software are you running?

!
UAC at default level
admin user
security config: Windows Defender + VoodooShield 4

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The simplest workaround for the startup problem, albeit the least elegant, is to paste a shortcut to voodooshield into the following folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME GOES HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The simplest workaround for the startup problem, albeit the least elegant, is to paste a shortcut to voodooshield into the following folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME GOES HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
To voodooshield.exe or to voodooshieldservice.exe? (I think Dan initiates VS via the service first now?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.