VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Look rofl: View attachment 170586
From creating this in Process Lasso, seems VS is happy having a baby sitter :p
View attachment 170587
This is this easy to do with Process Lasso and VS seems to not mind.
PS: I do not recommend doing this for the "service" I am only messing with the .exe or "app"
NOT the service
;)
Luckily my reading are low, no need for me to use such tools. I wouldn't know where to start anyway...:LOL:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can i use Avast free ( with Hardened mode enabled ) and Voodooshield?
It will work. If you get a block from Avast hardened mode (it might not recognize new versions?), just allow Voodooshield to run, and you are good.

Reactions: given

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
Hiya Dan!

I'm getting a recurring issue with the latest VoodooShield beta. I use a VPN called Private Internet Access, and it generates a file named 'rubyw.exe'. VoodooShield blocked this file before I could allow it through and it comes up as 'user blocked', as you'll see in the attached picture (the file entry is highlighted). Whenever I right click and select 'whitelist item' VoodooShield immediately throws up an error message and then crashes completely. I've also attached a picture of this error message for you. Any ideas?

Thanks kindly!

Attachments

• vserrormsg.png
    vserrormsg.png
    100 KB · Views: 401
  • vsfileentry.png
    vsfileentry.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 368

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
:oops: Spoke too soon. Went out for a walk at the beach for a while. On cold start there she goes again, Register...
The only change once registered is that the desktop VS icon get enabled.
Are those blocks on the file attached having anything to do with It?
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hiya Dan!

I'm getting a recurring issue with the latest VoodooShield beta. I use a VPN called Private Internet Access, and it generates a file named 'rubyw.exe'. VoodooShield blocked this file before I could allow it through and it comes up as 'user blocked', as you'll see in the attached picture (the file entry is highlighted). Whenever I right click and select 'whitelist item' VoodooShield immediately throws up an error message and then crashes completely. I've also attached a picture of this error message for you. Any ideas?

Thanks kindly!
Another idea, besides the good idea that @Telos mentioned, is to put VS in learning mode and then start up your program. That helps a lot of times.

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
Just guessing here... but exit VS. Connect via PIA and then open VS and take a snapshot. Then, go to your whitelist and see if "rubyw.exe" got added. I'm not sure what is causing the crashes. Maybe Dan will chime in (you should grab a copy of the developer log in the meantime).

I hadn't actually thought of that but I'll try it alongside shumu26's suggestion to see if I can get it whitelisted that way.

faircot

Level 1
Mar 31, 2014
Hiya Dan!

I'm getting a recurring issue with the latest VoodooShield beta. I use a VPN called Private Internet Access, and it generates a file named 'rubyw.exe'. !

I used to use PIA (Pain in A... I used to call it!). rubyw.exe generates a different command line each time the prog starts and so you might want to look at the log and replace the changing portion of the command line with wildcards and then whitelist that line.

HTH

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
I used to use PIA (Pain in A... I used to call it!). rubyw.exe generates a different command line each time the prog starts and so you might want to look at the log and replace the changing portion of the command line with wildcards and then whitelist that line.

HTH

Interesting! I didn't know that. You weren't fond of it using it? I only really use it now and again and not very often, so hopefully it doesn't become a persistent issue but I'm going to look into the wildcards idea.

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
Just guessing here... but exit VS. Connect via PIA and then open VS and take a snapshot. Then, go to your whitelist and see if "rubyw.exe" got added. I'm not sure what is causing the crashes. Maybe Dan will chime in (you should grab a copy of the developer log in the meantime).

This seems to have worked! The crash itself is a mystery that hopefully Dan can solve, but I'll be trying out the wildcards idea to make sure the command line doesn't keep being flagged every time it changes.

faircot

Level 1
Mar 31, 2014
This seems to have worked! The crash itself is a mystery that hopefully Dan can solve, but I'll be trying out the wildcards idea to make sure the command line doesn't keep being flagged every time it changes.
I've just remembered this link. It might explain the issue better and offers a solution. It's old and so PIA might have changed things since the page was published.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Only issue I am having is the process use seems excessive, no app or MS process uses what VS is displaying as far as system impact.
Even DA is using between 6 & 23MB, see SS. (I have never seen DA above 23MB)
This is a relatively new OS installation and a clean VS install so some of the more common causes can be dismissed, anyone else seeing similar numbers ?
View attachment 170583
This is not effecting my system in a negative manner, I have tons of memory, but for those that don't, VS will cause issues with that high consumption ?
@danb
I never allow Process Lasso to monkey with or restrain VS but I think for now I am going to make an exception and set its max usage to something like 60MB then start throttling back ?
What number do you suggest Dan ?

I am also getting high ram 150mb which I have never seen before ,will this ease off or is there a fix? Thks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
409b, when Opera browser is installed, VS desktop icon takes a couple minutes to show up, although well before that I can see in Task Manager that 2 VS processes are running.
Uninstall Opera, and VS icon shows up fast.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hiya Dan!

Thanks kindly!
Very cool, thank you for letting me know. Yeah, that is another conversion error. VS is trying to convert a string type variable that contains "(FP)" to an integer, so it does not like that very much. It should be an easy fix.

BTW, someone emailed me the other day and said that they only recently discovered the horizontal scroll bar near the bottom of the Whitelist page in Settings... it has tons of info on the whitelist that can be helpful.

Thank you guys for letting me know about the high CPU utilization... I am noticing that too. I think it is fixed, and I am testing now. There are still a few bugs that you guys have reported that I have not had a chance to respond to, but I hope to be able to do so soon.

Nocturnalizer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 23, 2017
I've just remembered this link. It might explain the issue better and offers a solution. It's old and so PIA might have changed things since the page was published.

Thanks for this. Very interesting reading, though I'm not sure I feel quite comfortable downloading someone else's file at this point. Is there are any instructions for how to make this command line with a wildcard? I do keep getting prompted for it every time I start the PC.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.