Webroot, the only small AV left.

D

Deleted member 178

He doesn't "like" any AV. He just "tolerates" Webroot or EAM. Ask @Umbra yourself. He'll tell you, Webroot and EAM are the only ones that he'll put on one of his systems, and even then, it is a big IF he'll keep them there for any period of time.
Exactly, and the main reason i sometimes use Webroot, it isn't because of its protection (which i find average ) but its "lightness" (which is better than Windows Defender) and some other features.
I dont rely on AVs to secure my system. I trust only SRP/anti-exe (Appguard and NVT ERP) and sandboxes (ReHIPS or Sandboxie); those are the real protection of my system.
AVs are optional to me and i rarely keep them for a long time.

Cavehomme

Level 1
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
And I get that too. It depends upon what those threats were. That is another "populist" measure - "my AV blocked stuff, therefore it is awesome AV." Stuff can be thrown at AVs that they cannot defend against. All you have to do is look at AV test lab results, which throws run-of-the-mill stuff at them, to see AVs miss stuff. And Webroot does just OK in some areas and poorly against script-based malware. Webroot foolishly whitelists everything Microsoft. Despite all the hype and promises the journaling & rollback algorithms are powerless against a lot of infections, such as screenlock ransomware. It does not protect Windows Firewall and Windows' built-in security settings. It's own journaling registry keys are unprotected. It's not like these areas for improvement haven't been brought to Webroot's attention again-and-again.

Mark my words, someone will say I'm bashing Webroot when in fact I am the one who made the repeated efforts to test this stuff out on Webroot's behalf and jump through Webroot's hoops to report for them.

The bottom line is this... AV, like all security softs, are just an insurance policy, nothing more, nothing less. On the vast majority of systems, it is probability and exposure to low-risk that is protecting the system.

Lockdown, good points. Out of interest, what security software do you personally use?

Lockdown, good points. Out of interest, what security software do you personally use?

For the most part I use AppGuard, Lastpass, Adguard and (lousy) Windows Defender. If I am feeling particularly paranoid I will use SpyShelter Firewall and Rollback RX on a system. For saving files I use Dropbox free. And for VPN I would utilize IVPN.

I don't mess with any of Windows 10's protections... such as Exploit Guard. I don't use software that is commonly targeted for application exploits. I keep the system and software that I do use patched.

I have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and everything else, but I install Pro only because I can temporarily block Windows Updates in the face of a borked update.

I don't worry. I am not the paranoid type. About malware, about privacy, about government agencies,... the vast majority of what is found on the forums is blown way out of proportion.

The discussion elsewhere in this thread, to me, is a philosophical one.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I have watched the whole Webroot thing since the start, and I just think some like Webroot, and others dont like it. I feel very protected by Webroots antivirus+. I have used it now over 8 years, and not one single piece of malware has gotten past WSA.
I understand why some people like AV's like Emsisoft,Kaspersky and Eset. But when I look back, WSA has kept my computer free of black hats, and that's what count for me. I would probably use Eset or Emsi, if Webroot stopped working tomorrow. But signs in sun and moon predict it will continue some time yet.:)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The "I never got an infection" defense of Webroot is strange to me -- from people who hang out at these types of message boards. Usually, people who hang out here want to use a demonstrably better product.

I read an article once where it talked about how in a part of Jamaica, a witch doctor using some crushed dirt and plants... casts a spell on malware entering your computer.

Yep, for some there, that is their antimalware.

And people swear it works... as they have never gotten an infection.

Maybe the Jamaican witch doctor spell and Webroot are equally good.

In the meantime, all sorts of legit information sources indicate that Webroot is an inferior and substandard over-hyped product.

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessment_2017_Q4_wm.pdf

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MRG-Effitas-2018Q1-360-Assessment.pdf

SE Labs

But.... we should all use... whatever makes you happy.

1535453849635.jpeg

OH YEAAHH!

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The "I never got an infection" defense of Webroot is strange to me -- from people who hang out at these types of message boards. Usually, people who hang out here want to use a demonstrably better product.
I do not use WSA, but the following has been by experience over many years. If I keep Windows and vulnerable software updated, I find it extremely hard to get infected. As a result, I do not feel the need to use security software that provides the best protection, or to harden my system to make it has hard as possible to get infected. I know that just by keeping my systems updated and not being click happy, I almost certainly won't get infected.

Maybe users of WSA who have gone for years without being infected, are doing the same.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I read an article once where it talked about how in a part of Jamaica, a witch doctor using some crushed dirt and plants... casts a spell on malware entering your computer. Yep, for some there, that is their antimalware.

Doesn't everyone put orgonite next to their computers to keep evil spirits away and put ferrite chokes on the lines to keep the aliens out? My malware removal techs almost always bless computers as a first measure to fix issues.

Computer Problems? It Could be Possessed by a Demon | Mysterious Universe

In all fairness, I think Triple Herximer did more harm to Webroot than good. That guy made people actually hate the product and anything he was associated with. His incessantly long title "Gold, Master, Elixir Builder, Kool-Aid Champion, 10 Year Platinum Pied Piper" meaningless titles and self bloviating crap coming from him was nauseating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
It's sad that you have to demean a well-meaning and well-intentioned guy who provided support and assistance to 100's of people all as a volunteer. I don't know him from Adam, but I do appreciate all the help he tried to give people. Yes, I am a Webroot user and proud of it. And, I received some support and assistance from the person you are making fun of.
Personally, I think demeaning or making fun of someone trying to help or volunteer their time to help others doesn't belong on this forum.

D

Deleted member 178

It's sad that you have to demean a well-meaning and well-intentioned guy who provided support and assistance to 100's of people all as a volunteer. I don't know him from Adam, but I do appreciate all the help he tried to give people. Yes, I am a Webroot user and proud of it. And, I received some support and assistance from the person you are making fun of.
Personally, I think demeaning or making fun of someone trying to help or volunteer their time to help others doesn't belong on this forum.
yeah and the said guy insulting me via PM on Wilders when he realized i was hired by another vendor, so much for a "well intentioned" guy.
As you said , you don't know him but we do.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You can disable Cortana ,Winareo is a program that has this option and many more ,also its free,I"ve used it for about a year with no problem,if you decide to give it a try,the download link is not the first option,but down a little ways near a request for a donation, after scroll down to its Window Apps section just below its Windows Defender section and the cortana disable section is there.Gl

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
In all fairness, I think Triple Herximer did more harm to Webroot than good. That guy made people actually hate the product and anything he was associated with. His incessantly long title "Gold, Master, Elixir Builder, Kool-Aid Champion, 10 Year Platinum Pied Piper" meaningless titles and self-bloviating crap coming from him was nauseating.

Yeah Sly, ya got that right. Bloviating and nauseating describe Triple-Hernia well.

It's sad that you have to demean a well-meaning and well-intentioned guy who provided support and assistance to 100's of people all as a volunteer.

Then you don't know the whole story. He is a shill defined. He makes money from referrals. He would sometimes go from thread to thread shilling the product that he knows is limited and inferior. Testing is the baseline judge of all products. Look at what he recently said about testing. It's a joke. He's a joke.

yeah and the said guy insulting me via PM on Wilders when he realized i was hired by another vendor, so much for a "well-intentioned" guy. As you said, you don't know him but we do.

Yep.

1535502866759.png

OH YEAAHH!

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway, the topic is not about the guy, but the software.

I have installed the complete version (some features are nice) just to ditch the resource hog that is WD, and WFC.
I can feel right away my system being more responsive.

At the moment, I didn't see the horrible journaling writes happening . Maybe they finally whitelisted some apps i'm using.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

I have installed the complete version (some features are nice) just to ditch the resource hog that is WD, and WFC.

At the moment, I didn't see the horrible journaling writes happening . Maybe they finally whitelisted some apps i'm using.

Good to know. Thanks!

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I remember the one time I tried it. My son said 'Dad, my SSD is out of space'.. I'm like.. WHAT? I ran Treesize, and found 118GB in the WRDATA folder.. I spent day after day opening tickets for whitelisting, finally uninstalling it in frustration.

Webroot is a dying product. Recent fiasco(s) where they bricked some machines. Some MSP's that used Webroot spend thousands of man hours fixing systems and servers. I virtually never hear of anyone using it anymore.

Reactions: Burrito

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.