What was your first Anti-Virus/Antispyware program you can remember?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Mine was GIANT-AntiSpyware :D
It looks like some rogue Antivirus but it was one of the better GUI's in those days :) Windows Defender was initially based on it
713_48.gif

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Oh, great thread! Maybe you'll help me identify an old AV I used, probably back in the Win 95 days. All I remember is a nice GUI, which kind of looked like AVG's interface when it still had the thug virus graphics (anyone remember that?), and the name is shadier in my memory, maybe I'll recognize it if I see it (I could say it might have been an old version of Ikarus, but I could be way off).

avg-eicar.PNG

This AVG and PC-Cillin came some time later, but were also some of my fist AVs. And McAfee & Norton too, came with a lot of PCs those days.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Oh, great thread! Maybe you'll help me identify an old AV I used, probably back in the Win 95 days. All I remember is a nice GUI, which kind of looked like AVG's interface when it still had the thug virus graphics (anyone remember that?), and the name is shadier in my memory, maybe I'll recognize it if I see it (I could say it might have been an old version of Ikarus, but I could be way off).

avg-eicar.PNG

This AVG and PC-Cillin came some time later, but were also some of my fist AVs. And McAfee & Norton too, came with a lot of PCs those days.
eScan or Fprot had a similar GUI, maybe?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Norton then Mcafee when i did not know better and then my first free av RAV (Reliable Antivirus) from GECAD Software which
Microsoft purchased in 2003 to make Windows Live OneCare and i have not paid for AV since

:)

James
yeeees, I totally forgot about RAV :D , If you didn't mentioned it, it would probably never come across my mind again

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.