What was your first Anti-Virus/Antispyware program you can remember?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Just barely... I remember having a cheat-sheet of DOS commands... in those days, using a computer was not a good form of relaxation.

And my first browser (at work) was called Mosaic.

What do you mean computers weren't relaxing back then? They were incredibly relaxing and actually required a brain to use.. Hehe. Also, consequently, a lot of them were virtually unhackable because their code was exceedingly streamlined, and virtually nothing could interface remotely with any viable userspace elevations.

In this day and age of bloat, bad code, exploits, and well, about everything else, I find almost none of it relaxing and actually dislike most of it. I sort of miss the old days because of the simplicity of all of it.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Since we are talking about relics.... in my first real job in the 1990s, I worked on the ARPANet.

ARPANet evolved into the....... internet.

1567127582680.png

1567127684043.png

1567127793555.png

And ARPANet was created by @ForgottenSeer 58943 and his pals in the military-intelligence industrial complex. And they have been spying on us ever since.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Meh, real old school is acoustic modem on a non-CRT unit that dumped everything to a daisy wheel printing CP/M running Fortran, and jacked into a PDP-8 and playing Colossal Cave.

Before ARPA became widespread there were BBS's, which posed a serious problem for intelligence gathering because they didn't have sufficient data interception on ATA v.32bis connections and everything required HUMINT. Spoofing your deeds by phreaking made it simplistic to avoid any potential problem.

Fidonet was a major communication method spreading information that they wanted, but had no idea how to contain or more specifically to inject disinfo. I have fond memories of running a phreak hub out of a spare bedroom in my apartment, and having a Fidonet hub while running a warez site. I knew Tom Jennings quite well and had a good time during those days in the underground. But I can't disclose much more without risking some level of revealing my identity. :)

Honestly, even today if you wanted some secure communication you could setup a v.32bis over encrypted VOIP, between two nodes running Wildcat and the spooks wouldn't even know what it is, or what to do with it.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
There was a limited AV scanner with Win 3.x - It was useless of course but thinking back (not easy) the first main one I used was the Icelandic F-Prot & I loved it simplistic approach, I think it's still around as re-branded - I of course at some point used the old Norton which seemingly ended up with updaters to it's updaters to its updaters & ended up as a bloated blob (IMHO) I used NOD32 around that time too & was impressed - I used Prevx which I think was developed in Derby UK? near me which it's technology was used in Webroot eeeek- Malwarebyes to was part of my armory which when became 3.xx went down hill, I'm still using ESET which is the one enduring thread though impressed with the new Norton & Symantec :eek::eek::eek:

My first AV was Pc-Cillin, then Dr Solomon and Antiviraltoolkit ...used also Thunderbyte and F-prot to scan.
Forgot about Dr. Solomon & Pc-Cillin, I saved some really old PC mags going to root them out to look at the ads.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
My first AV that I used was Panda Antivirus Pro. It was offered at the local computer shop because at that time, it was the lightest suite to run on our old windows XP machine. Used it for several years, then tried Norton, AVG, Sophos and several others.
Last year I switched back to the same Panda product which is now renamed to Panda Dome Essential. Still after all those years it is the security suite that runs the smoothest on both of my computers of all products I've tried.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.