Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 152 44.7%

• Total voters

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The thing about VPNs is one needs to research what kind of support they will receive for what they pay. The "highly rated" boutique VPNs such as IVPN or Mullvad don't provide support on a per-user basis.

Can't say I agree re IVPN. I've used (tried) several of vpns mentioned, and IVPN has been most stable and fastest. Rarely have issues, and when I had an issue, the support I received was aok. Do agree it is on the higher cost side, but for me the value has equaled the cost.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Can't say I agree re IVPN. I've used (tried) several of vpns mentioned, and IVPN has been most stable and fastest. Rarely have issues, and when I had an issue, the support I received was aok. Do agree it is on the higher cost side, but for me the value has equaled the cost.

I’ve only had good experiences with IVPN, including great customer service on numerous occasions.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

Amvt285

Level 1
Verified
Apr 15, 2016
I'm currently on the market for a new vpn after 3 years of being with express. This guy has a good rationale take on the industry.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I'm currently on the market for a new vpn after 3 years of being with express. This guy has a good rationale take on the industry.

I have been watching his videos for years, yes he is a good reviewer.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm using Mullvad at the moment & in most respects including speed it's the best I have ever used, AIRVPN very good too, I also use Windscribe for accessing Netflix USA/Canada from the UK, here but for other use none as fast as or well designed as Mullvad - The top rated ones I have found aren't so good such as Nord/Express but that is just my opinion.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Personally I never liked any of the giant mainstream VPN's, they just seem to good to be true. This is a good example of what I'm talking about. I've been using a company called SurfBouncer for the last several years.
Sorry mate, but SurfBouncer is as shady as the vpn scam website you linked to.
Both cannot even provide secured connection to their websites (HTTPS).

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
HTTPS seems to work fine for me (see the links below). And as for why I think they're more trustworthy than any of these other companies, they've been in buisness for longer than most of the major companies (Nord, PIA, Express etc), and nobody has ever exposed them doing anything remotely shady. The same can't be said for the major players who could only have gotten so big so fast with a lot of dark money behind them, and who are constantly being exposed as fronts for datamineing companies and even government agencies.
VPNscam.com – Exposing VPN Rip Off's and Scams
SurfBouncer Personal VPN Service

Reactions: JimHdy
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thread author
LOL at VPNscam using PCmag layout hahahahaha
Concerning surfbouncer, never heard of it and even among the most privacy paranoids dudes i know, it is unknown.
And being in business for long time isn't a proof of reliability. Hotspotshield is very old, but it still suxx. LOL

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
HTTPS seems to work fine for me (see the links below). And as for why I think they're more trustworthy than any of these other companies, they've been in buisness for longer than most of the major companies (Nord, PIA, Express etc), and nobody has ever exposed them doing anything remotely shady. The same can't be said for the major players who could only have gotten so big so fast with a lot of dark money behind them, and who are constantly being exposed as fronts for datamineing companies and even government agencies.
VPNscam.com – Exposing VPN Rip Off's and Scams
SurfBouncer Personal VPN Service
My bad.
However both websites look shady to me so I'll stick to Windscribe anyway :)

Reactions: zzz00m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
HTTPS seems to work fine for me (see the links below).
Only if you manually enter https. Otherwise it goes to the http site. This is not the case for other VPNs.
they've been in buisness for longer than most of the major companies (Nord, PIA, Express etc), and nobody has ever exposed them doing anything remotely shady.
That doesn't mean too much, as it's a little known VPN, It's not even mentioned at the following link.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thread author
That doesn't mean too much, as it's a little known VPN, It's not even mentioned at the following link.
Indeed, this site is a reference even if a bit outdated tough :p

ahahahaha look at what i found on their site...

Do you have a maintenance window where your servers are shut down?
No. We run hundreds of servers and dynamically assign users to different servers. We can bring up or take down as many servers as we need, at any time. Therefore, unlike our competitors who use traditional, inflexible, fixed-hardware based solutions, our service is available 24/7 with no scheduled down time.
Basically virtual servers, which are known to be shared with other VPNs or services, this is known to be a security/privacy risk.
What is funny they bash baremetal servers but those ensure security and privacy since they are OWNED by the VPN provider , not just rented to 3rd parties.
Also you need an email to register which it isnt top.

So for me it is an average VPNs which probably does well enough for average users but not at the same level of privacy and anonymity than the one i mentioned.

also you are bound to US laws:

7 – Using our service for any unlawful purpose is strictly prohibited. We are a USA-based company. Should you engage in any activity that violates US federal, state or local laws, you are in violation of the terms of service. This includes, but is not limited to, sending SPAM emails, using our servers in relation to various click fraud schemes and/or downloading or distributing copyright protected material where such activities are illegal.
the first thing a serious VPN does is to be localized outside the 5-eyes sphere and especially US, England and Australia.
so i dont expect much resistance when the government request your datas.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.