Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
If someone think
no it is not. too many "not so good" stuff lately. not saying, you dont want your VPN being too popular, because then it will be a target from various actors.

you want the best VPNs? Mullvad and IVPN.

Agreed. I use Mullvad on his advice.
Plus Wireguard is flawless, fast and no connection issue at all. There is double hop too.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
I would definitely go for a private VPN made by you or by a datacenter using a VPS for example. I am doing it myself.

However, as others mentioned it really depends on your usage and what is your main purpose of using the VPN.

I personally want it for the Security. I am not doing anything weird or any kind of testing that I would like to have an anonymous IP however, I also want to keep my privacy and I am totally against ISPs and other entities to log my browsing data and so on. Therefore, I would prefer my own server to make sure my data is mine (this is not 100% however in 2020). But this comes at a price. For example I can not use Netflix using my VPN as it would need additional configurations and special IPs.

I personally got a cloud server from a provider in Austria (and the cloud solution located in Germany) and they installed a configured pfSense which is a dirstro or FreeBSD for me. It comes with great VPN capabilities and since the price of the server is really good and pfSense is free (and I did not ask for the server administration) ... I pay almost the same fee as a commercial VPN service.

As conclusion it really depends on what you want.

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
PureVPN is based in Hong Kong, not a "five eyes" country but they still went out of there way, when they didn't have to, by unmasking one of their customers for the FBI - so much for being no-logging.
I get it. People have different uses for VPN. My primary need would be to access geo restricted contents and cases where my ISP *MIGHT* block/throttle contents (which has not happened so far). So in my case, a fast/cheap VPN works best.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I get it. People have different uses for VPN. My primary need would be to access geo restricted contents and cases where my ISP *MIGHT* block/throttle contents (which has not happened so far). So in my case, a fast/cheap VPN works best.
They claim they don't log, then they made their systems log to identify a user and handed it over where they didn't legally have to. I'm not suggesting you're hiding from the FBI, I'm saying they can't be trusted.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thread author
They claim they don't log, then they made their systems log to identify a user and handed it over where they didn't legally have to. I'm not suggesting you're hiding from the FBI, I'm saying they can't be trusted.
There is a difference between logging customers infos for purchase history and logging traffic.
If you don't log traffic, you cant hand over datas you don't possess.
Serious VPNs are audited by 3rd party independent organizations, and the result published. Now if you don't trust the organization, it is another story.
Also you have Warrant Canary. (not bulletproof but it may help)

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
There is a difference between logging customers infos for purchase history and logging traffic.
If you don't log traffic, you cant hand over datas you don't possess.
Serious VPNs are audited by 3rd party independent organizations, and the result published. Now if you don't trust the organization, it is another story.
Also you have Warrant Canary. (not bulletproof but it may help)
Of course, when I said they claimed they don't log I meant they claimed they didn't log traffic and couldn't identify users... then they went ahead and did it. They could've literally ignored the request but they went ahead and complied when they didn't have to.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
ProtonVPN is also a new player which started this year. Its a service from ProtonMail.com which is based in Switzerland.

They have 3 Free servers that you can try before you purchase. Its also Netflix friendly.

I have it installed on my phone but TBH I would still prefer my personal VPN.

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thread author
Of course, when I said they claimed they don't log I meant they claimed they didn't log traffic and couldn't identify users... then they went ahead and did it. They could've literally ignored the request but they went ahead and complied when they didn't have to.
Sure but you can't put all of them in the same basket.

Reactions: harlan4096

JimHdy

Level 1
Oct 6, 2019
ProtonVPN is also a new player which started this year. Its a service from ProtonMail.com which is based in Switzerland.
Well according to this site Proton is run by the same people that run Nord, and we've seen how trustworthy and secure they are with this whole hacking scandal. But even aside from that my policy on VPN's is to stay away from the new ones until there's been plenty of time for people to thouroghly invetigate them, I wouldn't recommend anything under five or six years old.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Well according to this site Proton is run by the same people that run Nord, and we've seen how trustworthy and secure they are with this whole hacking scandal. But even aside from that my policy on VPN's is to stay away from the new ones until there's been plenty of time for people to thouroghly invetigate them, I wouldn't recommend anything under five or six years old.
I’m not so sure about that site. There’s nothing there for me to put faith in them. That said, they were right about Nord and Tesonet.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

JimHdy

Level 1
Oct 6, 2019
Well if they were right about Nord and Tesonet years before anyone suspected Nord of anything and everyone thought they were great, what else might they be right about?:unsure:

Seems like food for thought to me.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Well if they were right about Nord and Tesonet years before anyone suspected Nord of anything and everyone thought they were great, what else might they be right about?:unsure:

Seems like food for thought to me.
It wasn’t years before, I suspect it’s some YouTubed they tried to shut up. When the Tesonet story broke a bunch of videos went up about it, then quickly disappeared. There’s also the possibility it’s being run by a rival vpn. Most of these companies are shady as heck.

Reactions: Nevi

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Cactus VPN
Yeah, where is the privacy policy? :sneaky: Looks promising.
ddd.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.