Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Well, here's something I did not like about WeVPN. The killswitch seems to not work..at all! I set the killswitch to "always" with wireguard, then disconnected intentionally and I was able to browser without issue.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
On a budget - VPN Unlimitied by a mile.
For overall features and flexibility - Windscribe
Because I have a fetish for it - ViprVPN - good speeds, very frequent and cheap deals, good security policy, excellent customer support. Purple app.

Special vote of appreciation for Nord and SurfShark, though. Their websites make them look like ghoulish false-dream hawkers, but the software and service provided by both is very good.

Vote of abomination for WeVPN - most overrated piece of s-h-i-t client. Frequently said connected when it wasn't. No fix from customer services. A SmartDNS service that's redundant if you're not a yank and too much cum in their mouths from YouTube reviewers.

EDIT I nearly forgot - AdGuard is superb if streaming isn't a major consideration, although they're bringing it on board. Otherwise it's generally the fastest VPN you can buy and costs almost nothing (40USD for 5 years I think I paid).

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
On a budget - VPN Unlimitied by a mile.
For overall features and flexibility - Windscribe
Because I have a fetish for it - ViprVPN - good speeds, very frequent and cheap deals, good security policy, excellent customer support. Purple app.

Special vote of appreciation for Nord and SurfShark, though. Their websites make them look like ghoulish false-dream hawkers, but the software and service provided by both is very good.

Vote of abomination for WeVPN - most overrated piece of s-h-i-t client. Frequently said connected when it wasn't. No fix from customer services. A SmartDNS service that's redundant if you're not a yank and too much cum in their mouths from YouTube reviewers.

EDIT I nearly forgot - AdGuard is superb if streaming isn't a major consideration, although they're bringing it on board. Otherwise it's generally the fastest VPN you can buy and costs almost nothing (40USD for 5 years I think I paid).

AdGuard VPN? Really??!? That is by far the worst VPN there is! If you can connect at all (notice I said *if*) speeds are slow. The gui is archaic, lacking any real features. You can't even select which protocol you want to use! Nooope! I cannot recommend Adguard VPN and all. Like Monty Python says, "run away!"

Reactions: dinosaur07

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
None anymore. All the VPN servers have been blacklisted and it's a chore to browse the web on a VPN. Before it was liberating. Now your IP gets blocked, you run into thousands of captchas, you have even fewer streaming choices, finally my Gigabit Internet gets reduced to 30-200 Mbps at best and the ping is ridiculous. I think most VPNs including paid ones are selling your data. All you do is add another hop to your traffic. You're not tricking anyone. Sites still know it's you by your fingerprint, device information, browser, typing speed and cursor patterns even.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
AdGuard VPN? Really??!? That is by far the worst VPN there is! If you can connect at all (notice I said *if*) speeds are slow. The gui is archaic, lacking any real features. You can't even select which protocol you want to use! Nooope! I cannot recommend Adguard VPN and all. Like Monty Python says, "run away!"
I guess you're not doing it right.
How many protocols do you need to be the best?

5 minutes ago to my fastest usual overseas server.

Nord 123.97 Mbps down 41.72 up
SurfShark 153.79 / 44.70
TorGuard 134.95 / 44.34

AdGuard 161.74 / 33.09

(It passed the extended DNSleaktestcom test., although I couldn't be bothered to test the others too.)

I paid $39.99 for a five year deal. I can live with an 'archaic' gui when it costs maybe $200+ less than the competition.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I guess you're not doing it right.

How many protocols do you need to be the best?

5 minutes ago to my fastest usual overseas server.

Nord 123.97 Mbps down 41.72 up
SurfShark 153.79 / 44.70
TorGuard 134.95 / 44.34

AdGuard 161.74 / 33.09

(It passed the extended DNSleaktestcom test., although I couldn't be bothered to test the others too.)

I paid $39.99 for a five year deal. I can live with an 'archaic' gui when it costs maybe $200+ less than the competition.

Like I said, there's no mention of protocol with AdGuard VPN. Does it use OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), Wireguard, PPTP, IPSec, etc, no one knows? What kind of encryption does it use? No one knows. And, what the hell kind of VPN logs timestamps? Not a good one. They themselves told me they collect them, despite claiming to be a "no logs" service. They display no warrant canary info. What jurisdiction are they under? You can’t use cryptocurrency to pay. There's no much unknown about the service. It seems like they are purposefully withholding info from us about things mentioned here, and that's not good.

Last edited:

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I am suspicious of SurfShark because they dont say who they are or where they are based (the business is registered in the British Virgin Isles but I doubt they are based there). If they wont say who they are then they cant be held to account. So why should I believe anything they say? it could be run by the Chinese state for all I know. I like to know who I am dealing with which is why I choose Windscribe and F-Secure Freedome.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I am suspicious of SurfShark because they dont say who they are or where they are based (the business is registered in the British Virgin Isles but I doubt they are based there). If they wont say who they are then they cant be held to account. So why should I believe anything they say? it could be run by the Chinese state for all I know. I like to know who I am dealing with which is why I choose Windscribe and F-Secure Freedome.
I'm more sympathetic to this.

They installed they're antivirus "service" and had it running even though I'm not subscribed to the AV. They said it does "nothing" without a sub - I call BS on that.

I also found plain text records with timestamps on my machine which although, only loosely associated with DNS providers, definitely could correlate with, and provide evidence of, browsing activity. to any FBI who may be after me.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
And, what the hell kind of VPN logs timestamps?
Check your AppData folder sometime - they all do.

As AdGuard states

"We do not store activity logs or connection logs of our users. AdGuard VPN does collect minimal information about the usage of our services in order to identify and address technical issues, but this information cannot be used to connect you to any specific activity or behavior."

They store no more than anyone else.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
They are registered to Netherlands also look at chapter 3 :)

By the way I got some connection from Cloudflare when I have used their service.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
They are registered to Netherlands also look at chapter 3 :)

By the way I got some connection from Cloudflare when I have used their service.
Interesting information, thanks.

Reactions: n8chavez and Nevi

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Used AdGuard extension & also used Hideaway (not concurrently) which probably has limitations but I'm now thinking all VPN's have extensive limitations, but for me maybe prevent some surveillance in the UK from government via ISP - if not with those two VPN's I lose no speed at all, I pay good money for a decent connection to see it throttled by most VPN's.

Reactions: Nevi

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
The better VPNs for Browsing and torrenting; Cyberghost, Mullavad and NordVpn, ExpressVpn is not bad but too expensive, I probably tested 29 VPNs this year in a real-life scenario.

1639522337316.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.