Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
After 4 days with version 2004, I don't see much difference in my everyday computer life. Booting is faster by a few seconds, that's all. I checked on Google for Windows 2004 new features...One looks interesting: cloud reset or recovery. But I'm with Macrium.....

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
@Stopspying This is what Windows Update shows for me.

View attachment 244066
@roger_m

I'm getting a similar result to you today.

Win Update_13 July 2020_07h27m59s_001_.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft appears to have fixed the Recovery Partition hell in Windows 10

"Windows 10 users who perform a fresh install of the operating system won't run into issues related to the creation of Recovery Partitions on the operating system anymore starting Windows 10 version 2004 according to reports.
The Recovery Partition is an essential part of the Windows installation; it may be used to restore the operating system if issues are encountered.
One of the main issues associated with the Recovery Partition on Windows was that it was often placed at the very beginning of the disk. The layout would start with the Recovery Partition and then the main partition with Windows itself. The problem with that layout is that Windows cannot extend the Recovery Partition easily, e.g. when it lacks the space for the required data. Windows would then create another Recovery Partition on the disk; systems would end up with multiple Recovery Partitions and seemingly little options to detect or delete old ones..."

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

L

Local Host

"Windows 10 users who perform a fresh install of the operating system won't run into issues related to the creation of Recovery Partitions on the operating system anymore starting Windows 10 version 2004 according to reports.
The Recovery Partition is an essential part of the Windows installation; it may be used to restore the operating system if issues are encountered.
One of the main issues associated with the Recovery Partition on Windows was that it was often placed at the very beginning of the disk. The layout would start with the Recovery Partition and then the main partition with Windows itself. The problem with that layout is that Windows cannot extend the Recovery Partition easily, e.g. when it lacks the space for the required data. Windows would then create another Recovery Partition on the disk; systems would end up with multiple Recovery Partitions and seemingly little options to detect or delete old ones..."

Honestly this only a problem for casual users as always, Microsoft even has a script available to create the partitions properly during Windows Setup (available for years now).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Now this is some news to sink your teeth into. My issue exactly, plus: every time I had to re-install Windows, along with a new recovery partition, there would be a corruption in the Restart function of my machine, at times, severe enough to boot me directly into the window offering me the BIOS menu instead of the desktop. I've complained about it around here in the past but no one seemed to have something like this or chose not to comment.

Anyhow, I would delete the extra, un-needed partition, regain the Restart function perfectly, but then end up with unallocated space that I can't tack onto any other NTFS-formatted volume. :rolleyes: So, we'll see how this pans out. Edit: I've tried the script, I've tried a complete wipe and reformatting, I've tried. The Restart function is corrupted each and every time regardless. Something's whacked on this machine most likely.

Thanks ALOT for posting this, Stopspying., it's a glimmer of hope to preserve my lone C: drive. Appreciate it. (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade remains blocked for many devices:
A flawless Windows Update is impossible with millions of PCs packing different, software, driver components, and other system tweaks. Microsoft’s decision to halt updates may frustrate some people who are anxious to upgrade their PC, but this is for the greater good.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade remains blocked for many devices:

yeah, i still have two computers that haven't been updated. one says there is no update yet, and the other tries and fails to update and gives an error. all my other computers are updated and running fine.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
There are reports on Reddit and a Windows 10 forum that users are missing Notepad after installing the July update.

It’s worth noting that Microsoft has made Notepad, Microsoft Paint, and Wordpad as optional features in Windows 10 May 2020 Update, and they can be installed and uninstalled by visiting Apps in Settings App.

A user on Reddit posted in two threads [1] [2] saying he lost Notepad and Paint after updating to build 19041.388, he expressed doubt the update might have removed them.
Another user on a forum too shared the same experience and says he couldn’t install the Windows Notepad app available on the Store.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I have Notepad but would gladly trade that for some record of Antimalware Platform having updated to latest version. It SEEMS to be installed as the version # is the latest, but there's no record of it anywhere on here, neither in Definitions Updates in Settings app nor Installed Updates in Control Panel

I can't find any evidence of Update debris to clean up, though I'm out almost 2 GB of disk space. Since PrivaZer uses the DiskCleanup, it couldn't regain it, naturally.

notepaf.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I was on MT early yesterday evening and then went to cook our dinner. I came back to find the computer restarting after Microsoft had forced the most recent 1909 updates on this computer. My post earlier in this thread show that I had it set so as to update 7 days after release, yesterday was the day the updates which were put on my computer were released. I know someone who had this happen to them last month and have read about similar instances of forced updates.

The updates, security and .NET ones, had failed. My computer would not boot and none of my back up solutions or rescue discs would work. The computer was stuck in a continuous loop of trying to implement 'automatic repairs' and failing to do so, then offering me various options to start in safe mode, boot from USB, USB drive, USB drives and even floppy etc. None of those options worked, file explorer was not working so I could not navigate to any internal or external locations. I could not navigate to an external hard drive with Macrium Reflect backups on. Putting a disc in the drive was pointless for the same reason. Reset would not work either.

I resolved the situation by installing a new Win 10 version on the C drive, then installing Macrium Reflect on the computer and running a restore operation to the way the computer had been set up earlier yesterday, pre-disaster from a Reflect backup made then. Everything works just as it did earlier yesterday. I took that route to restore things because I did not want to have to re-install all of the software that would be messed about by the C drive having a new Win 10 install, just having to make all of the about:config changes that I like and the extension settings would have meant it would take me ages to get it back to how I like Firefox. I work full time so that would have had to eat into time set aside for all the other things I need to do.

I install most of my software onto a seperate partition to the OS, its an old habit that I'm so glad that I continue as otherwise I'd still be re-installing much of the software if it had been on the C drive, or I'd not have had such an easy option as to re-install the OS.

Interestingly the OS updated to 2004 when I searched for updates, this is on a computer that when I tried over the weekend to see if it would update to 2004 I was told that the computer is not ready for thee 2004 release, so that must be due to some settings on my computer. As I've said before I am not going to alter whatever those settings are. Microsoft can do the work required from their side, it is my PC!

Moral of the story - backup, backup, backup and pray there is a way to implement the backup if Microsoft screws around with your system! Possibly also not leave my computer turned on and online when I am away from it for more than a few minutes, its in our home, there are no aliens here.

At some point I'll start dual booting on this system with an as yet undecided flavour of Linux.

I have no idea what someone without some IT knowledge would have done in my situation last night, coughed up a fair bit to their local computer repair shop I guess. I wish Microsoft would at least release updates that are more fit for purpose than the ones they seem to be releasing this year!

Edit - typos!

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
My laptop on 2004 did not lose notepad with the update. ? 🤷‍♂️
Maybe Notepad++, or similar, might get some new users. To me it seems a strange move to take something out that has been part of Windows for so long and make it an option. Maybe Microsofts telemetry tells them that there aren't that many users of Notepad. Maybe as long term user of Windows, and Notepad, my old habits die hard.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Considering many bugs on 2004, I think Microsoft stopped delivering 2004 to PCs, is that right assumption?
No. About a month ago I installed 2004 with MCT and then went back to 1909 with an image. I received several driver updates, etc. in the following days and then was offered 2004 via Windows Update. I still waited a number of weeks before recently updating. You should be fine if it's being offered now.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And 2004 keeps on giving....

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The list of active Windows 10 2004 compatibility holds

Right now, eight update blocks are still in place to block the May 2020 Update from being offered to Windows 10 devices with known compatibility issues (we're not listing the Surface compatibility hold since Microsoft hasn't yet officially confirmed it's still on):

Difficulty connecting to more than one Bluetooth device
Errors or issues during or after updating devices with Conexant ISST audio drivers
Errors or issues during or after updating devices with certain Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers
Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel GPUs
Issues with devices using Parity Storage Spaces
Unsupported settings (compatibility issues with numerous systems and hardware configurations)
Issues updating or starting up devices when aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys is present
Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

Even if your device is affected by one of the safeguard holds listed above, you can still manually force upgrade it to Windows 10 2004 using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, the Media Creation Tool, or a Windows 10 2004 ISO for a clean installation.

However, Microsoft recommends customers not to attempt to manually update using the Media Creation Tool or the Update now button until these issues have been resolved to avoid experiencing issues that could potentially render their devices unusable.

Windows 10 users can use this guided walk-through or this update problems troubleshooter to get around update installation issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.