Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I was going to post that above. ;)

No. About a month ago I installed 2004 with MCT and then went back to 1909 with an image. I received several driver updates, etc. in the following days and then was offered 2004 via Windows Update. I still waited a number of weeks before recently updating. You should be fine if it's being offered now.
Why you went back to 1909 then?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched:
As reported earlier, Windows 10 May 2020 Update appears to have broken Drive Optimizer, one of the useful tools that Microsoft ships with its operating system to improve performance of the drives.

During the beta testing of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, a number of users reported that the built-in Drive Optimizer is not behaving as it should be.

The users reported the problem to Microsoft in January and Microsoft said it fixed it in the preview builds on January 23, but broken Drive Optimizer somehow slipped into Windows 10 May 2020 Update, which was recently released to the public.

It's the only real problem I have right now with 2004.
Hope for a fix from MS soon...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What about this problem?

That's the bug I posted just above you.
To fix the defragment problem, open Windows Search and look for the Defragment and Optimize Drives app.
In the Drive Optimize tool, click on “Change settings” under “Scheduled optimization,” click on “Choose” next to “Drives”. Now, un-check your SSD drive, press “OK,” and then press “OK” again.
After disabling automatic maintenance for SSD partitions, make sure that you manually optimize them every week by clicking on the ‘Optimize’ button in the same Defragment and Optimize Drives app.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
One user reported on Microsoft forum that he is unable to install Windows 10 2004 as Windows is asking to restart the device to complete installing the firmware. But despite multiple restarts, the notification appears consistently. Here is what needs your attention notification says:

“The following things need your attention to continue the installation and keep your Windows Settings, personal files, and apps.
You need to restart your PC to finish installing a firmware update. Plugin your PC, make sure the battery is fully charged, restart, and then try installing again”.

Here, Windows 10 couldn’t able to install firmware updates via Windows Update, meanwhile, it is asking the user to fully recharge the laptop battery before restarting the device.

The affected user ends up updating the BIOS manually to get the notification away.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is investigating a known issue where Windows 10 2004 customers might see "No Internet access" tray indicators even though their devices are connected to the Internet.

"Customers are reporting 'no internet' access in the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) on Windows 10 2004 devices on devices that in fact can ping internet resources or browse web sites with internet browsers," a post on Microsoft's TechNet forum describes the issue.

Windows 10 users have also reported experiencing this issue after upgrading to 2004, with system reboots, router resets, and driver updates not fixing the problem. (1, 2, 3)

The company is currently investigating this Windows 10 2004 bug, with a fix to be delivered to affected devices with a future cumulative update.

While the Windows taskbar tray icon saying "No Internet access" on devices with a working Internet connection should only be a minor annoyance, users might encounter "Please connect your device to the internet" whenever launching apps that rely on Windows APIs to detect Internet connection status.

The issue seems to be connected to a bug that prevents the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) to correctly determine if an impacted Windows 10 is connected to the Internet and according to Microsoft's own support site and user reports it has affected multiple Windows versions for years (1, 2, 3, 4).

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update started gradually rolling out to customers worldwide on May 27 and this means that not everyone can immediately update their devices to Windows 10, version 2004.
Right now, Windows 10 2004 is being delivered as part of a phased rollout process to a limited set of customers with devices running Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 known as "seekers," which is short for customers who are manually seeking the latest release by clicking "Check for updates" via Windows Update.
Microsoft says on the Windows Health Dashboard that it has also started training a machine learning (ML) based rollout process used for intelligently selecting and automatically update Windows 10 devices approaching their end of service..."

".....The list of active Windows 10 2004 compatibility holds
Right now, eight update blocks are still in place to block the May 2020 Update from being offered to Windows 10 devices with known compatibility issues (we're not listing the Surface compatibility hold since Microsoft hasn't yet officially confirmed it's still on):
Difficulty connecting to more than one Bluetooth device
Errors or issues during or after updating devices with Conexant ISST audio drivers
Errors or issues during or after updating devices with certain Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers
Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel GPUs
Issues with devices using Parity Storage Spaces
Unsupported settings (compatibility issues with numerous systems and hardware configurations)
Issues updating or starting up devices when aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys is present
Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)
Even if your device is affected by one of the safeguard holds listed above, you can still manually force upgrade it to Windows 10 2004 using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, the Media Creation Tool, or a Windows 10 2004 ISO for a clean installation.
However, Microsoft recommends customers not to attempt to manually update using the Media Creation Tool or the Update now button until these issues have been resolved to avoid experiencing issues that could potentially render their devices unusable.
Windows 10 users can use this guided walk-through or this update problems troubleshooter to get around update installation issues."

I suspect this is the reason why the boot failure occurred which I reported earlier in this thread when 2004 was forced onto one of my PCs -

"Microsoft also had to deal with an issue where the Disk Cleanup maintenance utility could cause boot failures when launching automatically after installing Windows 10, version 2004 Build 19041.21.
Instead of applying an update block to block devices from receiving that update and potentially not being able to boot, Microsoft used an automated troubleshooter to block Disk Cleanup from launching on its own until users installed the Windows 10 version 19041.84 update which has a fix for this bug."

I have not tried to update since then. I don't plan to until its resolved and proved to be so, that experience has brought to the fore again all those reasons why I strongly dislike Microsoft, they include the bricking of a netbook with a forced Win 10 update about 4 years ago, so its almost deja vu again.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Outlook bug help page suggests two methods to resolves the issue.

I. Use the default Sync method SyncProvider.
The Sync method None is specific to workstations that have a permanent network connection to the SettingsStoragePath.

II. If the user cannot change to other sync methods, then he needs to change UE-V behavior by configuring the items in the corresponding template by following the below-given steps:

1.Go to the TemplateCatalog path that is defined in the UEV Configuration settings. If you use the default location, the path should be as follows:
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\UEV\InboxTemplates\MicrosoftOutlook2016CAWinXX.xml

2.Update the following lines in the template, and then save and re-apply the new template:
<Version>3</Version>
<Asynchronous>true</Asynchronous>

Important For method 2, the template editing is applicable to only Office 2019 and Office 2016. It does not apply to earlier versions of Office. Changing the template for a version of Office other than Office 2019 or Office 2016 can cause crashes and undefined behavior in the program.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Malwarebytes has fixed bugs that were causing performance issues in Windows 10 2004.

In June, BleepingComputer reported that Malwarebytes was causing performance issues when installed on Windows 10 2004, the May 2020 Update.

These performance issues ranged from a slow down of the operating system, random freezes, stuttering in videos, and BSOD crashes.

To resolve these issues, users had to disable the 'Ransomware Protection' feature in Malwarebytes.

Yesterday, Malwarebytes released a new beta version of its security software intended to fix these performance issues.

We have just released a new beta version that intends to address the performance issues that can occur with Ransomware Protection enabled on Windows 10 2004.

The users who have installed the beta have stated that it has resolved their performance issues, even with the enabled ransomware protection feature.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
List of the new issues in Windows 10 version 2004:
Drive Optimize
Internet connectivity
ESENT warnings

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
"Of course, you should avoid these patches. They’re still in testing; that’s why they’re marked “Preview.”

But I manually installed the KB4559004.

Reactions: roger_m

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft employee, Jenny Feng in a couple of threads [1] [2] said they’re aware of the issue and suggested some workarounds...

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
No problem with that update. Only thing I've seen in 2004 is the disk optimizer "never run" bug. No big deal.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
List of the new issues in Windows 10 version 2004:
Drive Optimize
Internet connectivity
ESENT warnings

Got two out of three, that ain't bad. No wait, yes it is. :mad:

ESENT id 642 but to be fair, they've decreased a lot in frequency of occurrence. since 2004 first installed
Disk Optimization "never run"--with me in spirit since December 2019. Like gum stuck to my shoe. :rolleyes: At least it's not "defragging" my SSD. like before.

I feel the media is exaggerating and blowing these problems a little bit out of proportion. A subset (hopefully small) will always experience issues to a greater and more destructive extent than the majority. The combinations of hardware and software are endless...Plus poor maintenance. etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.