From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Hi floalma,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Extremely slow scan, it took more than 6 hours to scan my computer.

Since our engine is based on ML and this engine will extract lots of metadata from files when scanning in the first time . Next time, the metadata will be cached, so the scan will be much more faster.

2. It doesn't start automatically when reboot my computer, from my user account. WV process doesn't appear.

WiseVector StopX is launched via Task Scheduler. Please check Task Scheduler to see whether there is any error in the history.
( Please refer to How to Open Windows Task Scheduler - dummies)
(This is the way to view Task Scheduler History:View And Clear Task Scheduler History In Windows 7)
3. Right click to scan with WV, windows failed to appear.

This is a known bug, we will do tests and fix it in our next version.

4. About CPU, peaks a little more than 60% of the CPU.

High CPU usage will happen very few times if there are multiple files created(e.g. installing a software)when WiseVector is running, since WiseVector StopX is scanning the files.

Have a nice weekend!

Best wishes,
WiseVector

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Question - are the FP's bad on this?

It found a scary sounding piece of malware on the test system I was running it on. However, it was just a PDF I created myself for some stuff related to an estate. Nothing nefarious. VT was 100% clean on it. That sort of makes me feel like like it is just overly chatty. Detection seems great on an application that detects almost everything as malware?

Curious to hear why a generic (totally generic) PDF I made could flag it.

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Question - are the FP's bad on this?

It found a scary sounding piece of malware on the test system I was running it on. However, it was just a PDF I created myself for some stuff related to an estate. Nothing nefarious. VT was 100% clean on it. That sort of makes me feel like like it is just overly chatty. Detection seems great on an application that detects almost everything as malware?

Curious to hear why a generic (totally generic) PDF I made could flag it.
Hi ForgottenSeer 58943,

1. Can you please send me the screenshot of this detection? So I can know more details.
2. Have you uploaded the PDF via WiseVector StopX? (please refer to the screenshot below to know how to upload)Then we can analyze it.
3. It's impossible that WiseVector StopX detects almost everything as malware, since we are an Anti-malware company, not an Anti-everything company.:giggle:

Best Regards,
WiseVector
1.JPG

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
@WiseVector

Thank you for your answers.
It's not a matter of Task Scheduler. It start automatically from my Admin Account. The issue is from my User Account, you missed this information.
This is probably because under User Account, Wisevector needs Admin right to start automatically. Hope you fix this issue, so that we can start it automatically in any User Account on Windows 10.

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
@WiseVector

Thank you for your answers.
It's not a matter of Task Scheduler. It start automatically from my Admin Account. The issue is from my User Account, you missed this information.
This is probably because under User Account, Wisevector needs Admin right to start automatically. Hope you fix this issue, so that we can start it automatically in any User Account on Windows 10.
Hi floalma,

Yes, WiseVector needs Admin right to start automatically. But I'm afraid we don't have a plan to fix this issue you described at present, sorry for the inconvenience.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Try something like this for starters...

1. Find the .exes of the program in the program folder
2. Right click on each one and select Properties->Compatibility->"Change settings for all users"->Place a check box in "Run this program as an administrator"

Now every time a process starts UAC will ask your permission, so you must find a way to run them without UAC prompts. I never found a way to do this, but I have heard there is a way. Maybe someone here at MTs knows...

If the program generates .tmp files ever, you might still run into some issues. I guess for me maybe it's not such a horrible thing to be notified of a .tmp file running as long as it's not too often...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
P.S.-just did a search on this, and I suppose I am wrong. Looks like it is not possible to bypass UAC in SUA any way but one way. Here is the info:

On the plus side, you could at least use a scheduled task to start the main program application at startup and maybe one each for its services that run at all times. Disable their normal startup entries, and maybe it would work.

Likely there are other processes that run on demand, not sure what to do about those...

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Now every time a process starts UAC will ask your permission, so you must find a way to run them without UAC prompts. I never found a way to do this, but I have heard there is a way. Maybe someone here at MTs knows...

Thirio

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Very impressive detection rate from @WiseVector thanks for updating us @harlan4096 .

One can only wonder when this will be integrated to Virustotal. This paired up with VS sounds like a solid security setup I have yet to try. I hope WV manages to stay free or at least "green". WV seems like a hidden gem right now so please don't end up like 360 once you turn big. ;)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hello: since I have Defender, I had to shut off exploit guard--Force randomization for images (Mandatory ASLR) as was previously noted in this thread. Otherwise, when this is enabled, my installation of WiseVector is silently blocked. Version is 2.09, OK? May I know the name/s of the driver/s?

I don't know if this is answered earlier, but may I have more than one day to review this software and the real time protection? I'm finding its recent testing results by harlan4096 to be pretty impressive. :emoji_ok_hand: My only little quibble is its system "quick" scanning is really slow on a machine with a Samsung 970 EVO SSD and i7 CPU yet there is nothing in the scan logs when you look for the amount of time it took. Of 206130 items, I would say it took about 6 + minutes. Also, as stefanos has noted earlier, the desktop shortcut will not open WiseVector but it is accessible in the system tray. Windows 10 v.18362.356. Defender's real time protection is currently disabled. Will you be optimizing the scanner and making this a subscription-based antivirus anytime soon, WiseVector? I apologize if any of this stuff is already answered.

EDIT: I find this error in Event Viewer. What can you tell me about it? Defender's real time is disabled. I have NVT OSArmor on the system with many rules applied. I also have gpedit.msc with several policies enabled. I can post screenshots if this is helpful. winver is above.

WV.PNG

Last edited:

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Very impressive detection rate from @WiseVector thanks for updating us @harlan4096 .

One can only wonder when this will be integrated to Virustotal. This paired up with VS sounds like a solid security setup I have yet to try. I hope WV manages to stay free or at least "green". WV seems like a hidden gem right now so please don't end up like 360 once you turn big. ;)
Hi Thirio,

Thank you.

We are waiting in line to be integrated to VT and they told us in an email that we have to wait nearly one year...:coffee:
We will have two kinds of versions in the future. The one with basic features will stay free and the other with advanced features will charge.
No worries, WiseVector StopX will stay "Green" forever.
I think we don't have a chance to be a super big company like 360 now, since time changes. We would like to be a small,elegant and professional one.:)

Regards,
WiseVector

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.