Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Avira AntiVir 10 Service Pack 2 Beta

stormgtr said:
Does the Ask Toolbar plus WebGuard provide the same level of protection as in the paid versions?

Of course it's limited to toolbar compatible web browsers (correct me if wrong).
The Ask toolbar will only be installed for the free version users if they want the Webguard feature. In order for them to have Webguard, they must agree to installing the ASK toolbar (named Avira toolbar but it is the Ask toolbar) and they must use Ask as their default search engine.

It seems that the Ask.com toolbars have a serious vulnerability ActiveX Control Buffer Overflown since 2007 and nothing has been done to fix this problem.
Joey Mengele has discovered a vulnerability in Ask Toolbar, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.

The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error in the AskJeevesToolBar.SettingsPlugin.1 ActiveX control (askBar.dll) when handling the "ShortFormat" property. This can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow by assigning an overly long (greater than 500 bytes) string to the affected property.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

The vulnerability is confirmed in version 4.0.2. Other versions may also be affected.

IE had some problems with this Ask toolbar and this is why Microsoft has released a "Fix it" solution.
This problem was caused by Ask Toolbar, which was created by Ask.com.
Ask Toolbar is an Internet Explorer add-on that has caused your browser to stop working.
Also the this toolbar caused some problems for the Kaspersky users in the past.

G

Guest28

Ohhh babe babe............... scareware and unwanted Emails to buy registry cleaners. And now a tool bar that is packed with expoloits what more could you ask for out of a security application that's suppose to protect you and keep you away from misleading scams/scareware.

marsellus

May 24, 2011

Detection of smaller and smaller and now such a surprise:s Avira a slowly rolls down the:(

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

The toolbar vulnerability is what scares me about the free version of Avira, it did went down the drain, :biggrin:

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Its too bad to know that the vulnerability have no fix until now and its rated as highly critical.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Personally, Avira AntiVir Personal SP2 Beta is a no-no for now.

Yes, the toolbar doesn't have to be installed, but it's still part of the package.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Release Informations for Avira AV 10 Service Pack 2

Fast Facts for Avira products

Release Dates:
• June 28, 2011: German and English editions
• August 30, 2011: All other language editions

Link

acuariano

May 16, 2011

update software today,91 definitions.a nagscreen from avira asked me install now or later a search toolbar.
i click on "X" to exit that option..
i'll be checking today if they install any toolbar intentionally
-if so...back to avast.

update,every reboot is asking for the same..
bye,bye avira

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

Avira users that have done the update and have not installed the
Ask toolbar are complaining that the umbrella is being displayed
closed. Even though the umbrella is closed, the guard is working
properly but this is confusing users because when they see the
umbrella closed, think the AV is disabled.

To force the umbrella to open up can be done by going to add/remove
programs and choosing modify/change. Then selecting the components
to be installed but leaving the webguard unchecked. After all is done,
the umbrella should open up.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Probably I will plan to update it maybe tomorrow since I'm always using Linux than Windows.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

I'm not sure if its weird or not but when I updated it only definitions, no product update available. Its supposed to automatically download and install, oh well I will just wait to receive the SP2 update.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

jamescv7 said:
I'm not sure if its weird or not but when I updated it only definitions, no product update available. Its supposed to automatically download and install, oh well I will just wait to receive the SP2 update.

It seems, SP2 has been pull down. So, no SP2 update is available at
this time.

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Ok so I update it and the size was like 13,000 bytes but that's not a big deal since I have 4mbps

1. The update was also include a issue about umbrella, so when I update it the umbrella closed and open again.

2. There is a popup about avira toolbar to install it bundled a component of webguard so I dismissed the popup.

From the update there is no restart occurred that supposed to stated in the updater.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Ok so I update it and the size was like 13,000 bytes but that's not a big deal since I have 4mbps

1. The update was also include a issue about umbrella, so when I update it the umbrella closed and open again.

2. There is a popup about avira toolbar to install it bundled a component of webguard so I dismissed the popup.

From the update there is no restart occurred that supposed to stated in the updater.
Hi James, Are you getting a Web guard/toolbar notifier from Avira when you reboot?
I believer you will get a notifier during the first 3 reboots after the update and then
the notifiers would stop. I like to know if the notifiers DO stop eventually.

Bo

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

slideup.jpg

This pop-up is quite annoying , and the worst part is that you don't have a "Not in a million years" option. :p
I have browsed the Avira forums and all the staff has only one answer...... "If you don't like it,don't install it o...but If you do that you won't have any WebGuard protection" ...That's very professional,Avira seem to forget only one thing...they aren't the only security vendors.

Found this very interesting thread over at Avira forums :

Ask.com files stay in Avira folder even without webguard+toolbar installed

I won't repeat the complaints from many other users about the unwanted inclusing of Ask.com stuff in the latest Avira updates. I just want to say I'm very disappointed in Avira. I never thought it possible that a renowed antivirus company would chose to bond with a sleazy firm that produces software that Avira itself condemned as "malware" not long ago.

I'm about to switch to MSE or Avast, but Avira served me well for many years and I want to give Avira a chance to set this right.

Thing is, even if you DON'T want the ask.com toolbar installed, three ask.com files are still dumped in your Avira folder:

ApnToolbarInstaller.exe
ApnStub.exe
ApnIC.dll

You can delete them by either doing a safe boot or (easier) by going into configuration - expert mode > security > uncheck "protect files and registry entries from manupilation". Then delete said three files from your avira folder in "program files". (Don't forget to check the entry in "configuration" again!)

But surprise, surprise. Next time you do an update, all three files are added to your Avira folder again.

This is unacceptable behavour. Not only is it unclear what these files do, specially apnstub.exe (there have been reports of it phoning home to ask.com), we specifically said NO to the installation of this software.

The only accaptable solution is Avira issuing future updates that DON'T include the three files mentioned before - for users that have chosen not to install the Ask.com toolbar.

I'm awaiting your reply.

Source : http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1092044#post1092044

I do wonder ,who has something to gain from all of this .... Right now the Avira reputation has dropped and ask.com reputation which wasn't great is now even worse....

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Jack, see if you can make some sense out of this.:D Read post#3.
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1090938&highlight=apnstub#post1090938

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

bo.elam said:
Hi James, Are you getting a Web guard/toolbar notifier from Avira when you reboot?
I believer you will get a notifier during the first 3 reboots after the update and then
the notifiers would stop. I like to know if the notifiers DO stop eventually.

Bo

Hello, yes I got the notifier during startup asking if install the toolbar or later but its not a big deal for me.

Yes Jack, there are three files were stayed in Avira folder that was known as Ask Toolbar files but I will ignore for that.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Arthur Huptas,from Avira Global Service Strategy Team has published a FAQ regarding the new Avira SearchFree Toolbar.

You can go here are read all the FAQ.
The most interesting ones are :

Did Avira flag Ask.com Toolbar in the past as ad- and spyware?
"Yes, in at least one instance in the past, Avira AntiVir has flagged the Ask.com toolbar as possible adware/spyware ('ADSPY' detection). At the time, the Ask.com toolbar was part of programs which have been known for adware. This situation led to the flagging of Ask.com toolbar."

Sascha Beyer,
COO Products & Services

Why did you choose to include the Ask.com’s toolbar in Service Pack 2?
Avira‟s new SearchFree Toolbar upgrades your free virus scanner to include WebGuard protected browsing and search, which prevents drive-by downloads and other infections picked up from hacked websites. No matter where the web takes you, any search typed into the SearchFree Toolbar is protected by Avira‟s WebGuard defences against phishing and spyware.

Avira chose Ask.com to be our partner in bringing you the SearchFree Toolbar because ask.com is one of many vendors whose products offer functionality which we believe our users will value:

- The toolbar upgrades your Avira Personal Free AntiVirus product to include the AntiVir WebGuard component which is normally available only for the paid products.
- Keep your security current. The toolbar‟s status indicator provides real-time confirmation that WebGuard is activated and that your Avira software is up-to-date.

Will the Avira toolbar remember my search history?
You have full power to configure if, or for how long, the toolbar will remember your search history.

Will Avira or Ask.com collect information about my searches?
See Ask.com‟s privacy policy here: http://sp.ask.com/en/docs/about/privacy.shtml

Read more

G

Guest28

I really don't like this change at all. You will never see me useing an avira product again! When avira detected ask tool bar and now they have it installed for there customers. That's like saying yea this guy once went into my house and took some money. But now i'll let him back into my house.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So they admit that Ask was flagged as Adware/Spyware before, so they must aware that Ask was known adware and become a problem by the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.