Compare list
Internet or Total Security 2020-21
In-depth Comparison

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I love Emsisoft myself, but if I have to be objective. Then I'd pick Kaspersky, then Eset and Sophos in that order. I really do feel that Sophos is kind of underappreciated overall given the extensive features and detection results.

I don't know if is underappreciated, for example my second scanner is HitmanPro and is one of my favorites second opinion scanners. I really like the brand, maybe not for primary AV, but it's my choice for second opinion scanner, I have the paid version of HitmanPro.
Also have Start Emergency Kit as second scanner, my security solution his composed for KIS primary defense system, two light scanners as complement Hitman and Emergency Kit.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know if is underappreciated, for example my second scanner is HitmanPro and is one of my favorites second opinion scanners. I really like the brand, maybe not for primary AV, but it's my choice for second opinion scanner, I have the paid version of HitmanPro.
Also have Start Emergency Kit as second scanner, my security solution his composed for KIS primary defense system, two light scanners as complement Hitman and Emergency Kit.
In this case I was referring to the primary solutions, rather than just Hitman Pro. That having said, I do agree with you though. :D

L

Local Host

Why Kaspersky wins every poll like this
Because it's that good, most other suites end up causing issues, ESET despite being light is not install and forget and requires management from the user, not to mention has the highest rate of FP among the top products (which is not a good solution for a family PC).

Kaspersky is install and forget, but you can configure further with strict settings and automatic behaviour, in a way it never bothers the user, plus is lighter than Windows Defender.

I been using Kaspersky for years with no issues (they always the first to update their AV for major W10 updates too) and is currently running on most my family members PCs and all connected to my account so I can manage them online.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Because it's that good, most other suites end up causing issues, ESET despite being light is not install and forget and requires management from the user, not to mention has the highest rate of FP among the top products (which is not a good solution for a family PC).
This is the opposite of my experience. I’ve installed ESET and had to manage nothing for months on multiple machines. I’ve never had a false positive. And they regularly have one of the lowest FP rates in testing (which is up to you to trust). Also, the necessity of using special HIPS rules is overblown unless you are in a very sensitive business environment at risk for ransom ware. For a home user I’ve found it very capable of install and forget.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Norton was #1 for me all these years but now it's Kaspersky TS followed closely by Norton 360 Premium, Bitdefender BDTS, Windows Defender (it's free!) and last is Malwarebytes.

Malwarebyres is included because MWB claim it's an AV replacement. Really? 🙄

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I voted Kaspersky. (Internet Security)
Reason: Protected me for more than 12 years now.

Feature Comparison: Best feature for me is not the protection but the removal/remediation. Before ransomwares were a thing, viruses, spywares, adwares, wormes, & all the other micro-organisms you can think of, were the problems. Since long ago, I found out (personal experience) that kaspersky is the one of the very few which can remove them if you are infected. Earlier it was not good with detecting adware or other not-a-virus things, but that is not the case today.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I really like Kaspersky been using it for the last few years but I often wonder what Norton has going for it these days overall because around 2010 it started getting better in terms of a file rating system etc, These days I thought it would a program control to deny access to the system for bad files like Kaspersky and Comodo but it doesn't

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I voted for Eset, as it is very light, has almost no false positives, has a lot of settings, including one of the most convenient firewalls and an excellent bank payment mode with multi-level protection.

But I think that Trend Micro is undeservedly absent from the voting. I have been using it on a virtual machine for several days now and I want to say that it is a very balanced product. Almost the perfect balance of price and quality, when compared with other solutions. I am now seriously considering switching to it after Norton.

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.