Battle Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 - Nominate

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This thread is now closed. Please vote for your favorite product at Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 - Poll

Hello and we are back for 2018 :)

2015 Winner - Qihoo Total Security
2017 Winner - Avast Free Antivirus
2018 Winner - ??????

Last year Avast won the nominations & the final round. This time are we expecting anything different? Let's wait and watch :)

To make these nominations/results more constructive for the end-user, I will start a Pro & Con section for each antivirus in their respective sections. Please state what you found best in each antivirus to help other users.

WINNER DECISION: 2 Phases

NOMINATE ONLY: 2 Products (AV/IS/TS)
NOMINATION PHASE: 9th Nov- 19th Nov

FINAL POLL: 5 Products (most nominated)
POLL PHASE: 20th Nov - 30th Nov

WINNER DECLARATION: 1st Dec

CURRENT NOMINATION STANDINGS (votes) - Till military
------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. Kaspersky - 29
  2. Microsoft - 6
  3. Forticlient - 5
  4. Comodo - 5
  5. Bitdefender - 4
  6. Panda - 3
  7. Zonealarm - 3
  8. Avast - 3
  9. AVG - 2
  10. Tencent - 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
KSC in a runaway with a nod to FortiClient for its web filtering. Takes some serious tweaks to get good protection from F-C, however, because it's designed to work with the Fortinet hardware. Very standard but outstanding if adding to Comodo or another firewalling, etc. application. Also great with OSArmor. Avast still deserves consideration. Personally, I just wish the removal tool was 100% a guarantee. I think it's the one thing avast should spend some time perfecting at this point. Sometimes it makes sense to unistall/reinstall security software during troubleshooting, and it's traditionally been too difficult with avast, especially if the program has been on the system for a long time and over many versions.

To be fair, for this year I would rank (in a 10 point split between top 3):
1. KSC-not even close. 6.5 points
2. Avast-good practical choice (privacy concerns hurt bad with Avast): 2 points
3. FortiClient-hard to configure (edit html file) but excellent web filtering :): 1 point
4. Panda/Tencent-OK for free and getting better but privacy concerns still: .5 points each for continuing to move forward

Bitdefender, AVG, and the other free versions are kind of standing still. Good programs for some, but not sure I would give them consideration for making strides in 2018 per se. I REALLY hope that ESET will step up with a killer A-V/system watcher free program to compete with KSC. They must be making very good progress internally since partnering with Gryphon. Don't even need firewall control from ESET if there is super-duper cloud monitoring/filtering of connections and downloads and then, natively, the basic best of Gryphon network security built into the local client :)...

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
From the above.. i would rate.
KAF, Forticlient-Sophos, Avast for the free nominees.
The first and last provide exceptionally free features at par with PAID one's
However Forti, Sophos provide all of their Hard work for free ..you can just install their WEB Filters and forget about AV.
Consider NANO as well..seem to improving day by day but no here as recommended Av

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
1) Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (enhanced and more configurable version of KFA)
2) Kaspersky Free Antivirus (current winner in Malware HUB)
3) Windows Defender (most progress this year, least compatibility issues on Windows 10)
4) Comodo Free Antivirus (great in blocking mode @BoraMurdar settings)

I think you nailed it. Absolutely agree on #3! (y)

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
1. Kaspersky cloud free (it includes secure input unlike KFA)
2. Windows Defender (With some tweaks of course)

Overall, since this year Kaspersky is taking the place of best AV free and paid, is very known where I live but the people doesn't know that exist KFA o KSC free, so the trend is just starting.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.