Battle Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 - Nominate

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This thread is now closed. Please vote for your favorite product at Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 - Poll

Hello and we are back for 2018 :)

2015 Winner - Qihoo Total Security
2017 Winner - Avast Free Antivirus
2018 Winner - ??????

Last year Avast won the nominations & the final round. This time are we expecting anything different? Let's wait and watch :)

To make these nominations/results more constructive for the end-user, I will start a Pro & Con section for each antivirus in their respective sections. Please state what you found best in each antivirus to help other users.

WINNER DECISION: 2 Phases

NOMINATE ONLY: 2 Products (AV/IS/TS)
NOMINATION PHASE: 9th Nov- 19th Nov

FINAL POLL: 5 Products (most nominated)
POLL PHASE: 20th Nov - 30th Nov

WINNER DECLARATION: 1st Dec

CURRENT NOMINATION STANDINGS (votes) - Till military
------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. Kaspersky - 29
  2. Microsoft - 6
  3. Forticlient - 5
  4. Comodo - 5
  5. Bitdefender - 4
  6. Panda - 3
  7. Zonealarm - 3
  8. Avast - 3
  9. AVG - 2
  10. Tencent - 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
What settings do you change?
Sorry, forgot adding the spoiler with them for some reason, edited the nomination, thanks for the heads up :)

Here we go:

Tencent PC Manager Global (with custom settings):
Realtime protection mode: Expert mode (Prompt upon detecting suspect actions)
File system protection level: High (monitor all file operations)
Action on threat detection: Choose action manually
Download Protection: Security prompt on dangerous files only

As I said, on first reboot, some of them were set back to the default ones, once applied again, they stay even after automatic or manual upgrades (you don't need to uninstall TCPM Global, it can upgrade while it's running).

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Sorry, forgot adding the spoiler with them for some reason, edited the nomination, thanks for the heads up :)

Here we go:

As I said, on first reboot, some of them were set back to the default ones, once applied again, they stay even after automatic or manual upgrades (you don't need to uninstall TCPM Global, it can upgrade while it's running).

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. In fact, I'm installing it to see how it works on my system.

I'm thinking of running it with VoodooShield or NVT Exe Radar Pro. Maybe OSArmor ... please, any recommendations?

Thanks again :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. In fact, I'm installing it to see how it works on my system.

I'm thinking of running it with VoodooShield or NVT Exe Radar Pro. Maybe OSArmor ... please, any recommendations?

Thanks again :)
Looking forward to your feedback!

Have only tried it in combination with SysHardener yet (v1.5), however haven’t tried it since I upgraded to Win10 1809.

Had no conflicts on the previous Windows Build 1803).

Currently using it in combination with Sphinx Software Windows 10 Firewall Control (Free Version) only.
Make sure to whitelist all TCPM Global processes when using it, you will get quite some notifications, but not more on upgrades (let alone for the installer).
One limitation of W10FWC: It has all Windows processes whitelisted, editing is only possible with the paid version.
All other processes: Default-Deny with notification.

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Looking forward to your feedback!

Have only tried it in combination with SysHardener yet (v1.5), however haven’t tried it since I upgraded to Win10 1809.

Had no conflicts on the previous Windows Build 1803).

Currently using it in combination with Sphinx Software Windows 10 Firewall Control (Free Version) only.
Make sure to whitelist all TCPM Global processes when using it, you will get quite some notifications, but not more on upgrades (let alone for the installer).
One limitation of W10FWC: It has all Windows processes whitelisted, editing is only possible with the paid version.
All other processes: Default-Deny with notification.

Thanks! :) You´re very kind

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

Here we go:

Is Tencent safe software?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Perfectly, it is being regularly tested on AV Comparatives, unlike its brothers, who got banned for cheating. Though it performs slightly worse than Bitdefender (delayed signatures?), I would probably pick Adaware over it, that is, if you do not like Chinese software or Chinese in general. :oops:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Perfectly, it is being regularly tested on AV Comparatives, unlike its brothers, who got banned for cheating. Though it performs slightly worse than Bitdefender (delayed signatures?), I would probably pick Adaware over it, that is, if you do not like Chinese software or Chinese in general. :oops:

Thank you. I use KFA+CF I just wondered how safe Tencent was. Thanks again.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Though Zemana flags it as PUP, I would consider it safe to use, it's being certified by multiple labs (腾讯电脑管家_权威认证, if you trust them), just like as @TairikuOkami stated. However, you can never know what data it will transfer (but this is common for most vendors, to transfer data in the background). At least the Auto-SUD option is off by default (Auto report upon blocking suspected virus and trojans - Cloud Protection Project).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.