Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
defender High
SRP applied with Default Deny (Recommended restrictions)
Restrictions (Recommended ones)

Will this be suffice or should add any other 3rd party application too ?
So you are using Windows Defender + H_C (recommended settings + ConfigureDefender high settings)? I assume that your system is Windows 10. Did you upgrade to ver. 1709 or higher?
What do you mean by "only allowing the proceses that are trusted and verified"?(y)

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
So you are using Windows Defender + H_C (recommended settings + ConfigureDefender high settings)? I assume that your system is Windows 10. Did you upgrade to ver. 1709 or higher?
mine is at 1809 i had to roll back from 1903 as its way too buggy.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
mine is at 1809 i had to roll back from 1903 as its way too buggy.
View attachment 212783
Do you use MS Office or Adobe Acrobat Reader?
What do you mean by "only allowing the proceses that are trusted and verified"?
What is your web browser?

Does it mean i'm completely safe from viruses that are auto executed like Ransomware etc ?
and yeah i mean the viruses from Flash Drives from one PC to Another?
There is no such protection. But, if you do not intentionally bypass SmartScreen alerts or turn off default-deny protection, then the chances of infecting the system are similar to winning the National Lottery.
I assume that you have also hardened your browser by using AppContainer + some security flags + good antiphishing & Ads filtering.

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Do you use MS Office or Adobe Acrobat Reader?
What do you mean by "only allowing the proceses that are trusted and verified"?
What is your web browser?
yes i use Ms office 365
I've adobe acrobat Dc pro
chrome and Firefox are my browsers.
Only Allowing UAC only if the process is digitally signed Except H_C :p

yes the disadvantage i feel is every-time I've to switch off default deny to Install anew program.

regards

There is no such protection. But, if you do not intentionally bypass SmartScreen alerts or turn off default-deny protection, then the chances of infecting the system are similar to winning the National Lottery.
I assume that you have also hardened your browser by using AppContainer + some security flags + good antiphishing & Ads filtering.
app container i don't know what it is but i'm using Adguard desktop version and lastpass for password magmt.

thats it

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
yes the disadvantage i feel is every-time I've to switch off default deny to Install anew program.
In fact, you do not have to do it. In most cases, you can use "Run As SmartScreen" from the Explorer context menu to install applications without turning off default-deny. (y)

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
In fact, you do not have to do it. In most cases, you can use "Run As SmartScreen" from the Explorer context menu to install applications without turning off default-deny. (y)
I just ran it with Run as smartscreen but I get this popup even though the file is digitally signed.
same is with UNSIGNED APPLICATION too..

this popup is for Signed application ESET Online scanner.

Am i doing something wrong ?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I just ran it with Run as smartscreen but I get this popup even though the file is digitally signed.
same is with UNSIGNED APPLICATION too..

View attachment 212784

this popup is for Signed application ESET Online scanner.

Am i doing something wrong ?
I do not think that you have used "Run As SmartScreen" or it is blocked by another security application. Could you please, send the screenshot of the main Hard_Configurator window here?
Did you read the H_C FAQ, especially the below section (read about the order of pressing the buttons):

How to restore Recommended settings.
  1. Press <Recommended SRP> left panel button,
  2. Press <Recommended Restrictions> right panel button,
  3. Press <APPLY CHANGES> button.
Restoring the Recommended settings preserves the user's whitelisted entries and blocked file extensions.

PLEASE NOTE: If SRP is deactivated, then order of the pressed buttons is important! Pressing the buttons in another order (for example 2,1,3) will prevent installation of new applications. This kind of a locked setup is much more restricted as compared to Recommended settings.

Hard_Configurator

Edit: But you must also apply yourself and learn. Access the wisdom that resides in this effort. (y)
(y):giggle:

Last edited:

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I do not think that you have used "Run As SmartScreen" or it is blocked by another security application. Could you please, send the screenshot of the main Hard_Configurator window here?
Did you read the H_C FAQ, especially the below section (read about the order of pressing the buttons):

How to restore Recommended settings.
  1. Press <Recommended SRP> left panel button,
  2. Press <Recommended Restrictions> right panel button,
  3. Press <APPLY CHANGES> button.
Restoring the Recommended settings preserves the user's whitelisted entries and blocked file extensions.

PLEASE NOTE: If SRP is deactivated, then order of the pressed buttons is important! Pressing the buttons in another order (for example 2,1,3) will prevent installation of new applications. This kind of a locked setup is much more restricted as compared to Recommended settings.

Hard_Configurator
1556146353770.png

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yup, I have been following that thread, more or less, and I am interested to hear Andy's perspective on it.
I do not have a clear personal opinion about Chrome security flags, except the flags related to AppContainer. I often use Edge, and now I test Chromium Edge Dev with the below enabled/disabled security flags:
Anonymize local IPs exposed by WebRTC, Extension Content Verification, Block scripts loaded via document.write, Enable AppContainer Lockdown, TLS 1.3 downgrade hardening, Mark non-secure origins as non-secure, Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown, PDF Isolation, Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections, Enable IE Integration (set to Disabled), Service Worker Push Messaging (set to Disabled).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.