shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In order for VS to run properly… please uninstall 4.01, and when the uninstaller asks you “Would you like to delete all of the VoodooShield settings and logs”, please click yes.
I don't have VS installed at the moment, but if I delete the VS folder from Program Data, that does it?

Reactions: simmerskool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
402 did not fix the startup problem for me. Back to 359.

Reactions: frogboy

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
if you mouse over the prompts, the countdown timer will reset to 20... this is so the user can pause the countdown timer so they can view all of the details and file insight. Is this what you mean?

Thanks Dan, I didn't know the mouse had that effect. That was probably the cause. I'll be more attentive to this going forward.
I am not sure about the auto allowed item... but if you look at the DeveloperLog.log in the c:\programdata\voodooshield folder, it should tell you why it was allowed.

The log wasn't that helpful. There were 3 entries. The first said that the user blocked the app. I suppose that is related to when I x'd out (closed) the notification pop-up. The second entry just said "auto-allowed". The third entry mentioned something about a parent process (I'm unaware this program had a parent process)..What puzzled me was that
  • I received a block/allow notification
  • I closed the notification window without selecting block/allow (apparently taking no action by closing the notification is blocking)
  • The next time I tried to open the program it instantly opened without a notification,
So if it was allowed by rules/AI/etc, I'm not understanding why I got the notification window when I initially opened the program.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
That is great to hear to VS is running well, thank you guys for letting me know! We are getting close!

Now we just need to figure out why the Service is not starting VS for some people ;).

What happens if you exit out of the VS gui, then manually stop the service, and then manually start the service (or just simply restart the service)? Doing this should start the service and the VS gui. If it does not, I can add some logging to figure out why... there might already be some logged events.

Also, are you guys running as a standard user? UAC? Region settings in Windows Control Panel?
4.02b - confirm VS service starts, but not GUI. Restarting the service fixes the problem.

Admin user, UAC max, English (South Africa). Win 10 Pro x64.

Reactions: simmerskool

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
4.02b - confirm VS service starts, but not GUI. Restarting the service fixes the problem.

Admin user, UAC max, English (South Africa). Win 10 Pro x64.
Thank you guys for letting me know. It looks like the token issue is fixed... but something else seems to be blocking the service from starting VS. I will add some logging to the next version so we can see where the breakdown is.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Hi @danb
I can't get my PC to appear on the Web console. Is that normal for this beta?

I've unistalled 4.01, rebooted, fresh installed 4.02 and reset registration several times, but each time I log in to the console everything is empty.

I have a suggestion about the rules system. Currently it is very difficult to tell whether a rule you have created from the rules wizard is being used or not. My suggestion would be to create a log entry, whenever a custom rule is used to allow or block execution of a process. This could be recorded in the user log or maybe a rules log. If each rule was given its own unique number, and this was written to the log, the user could easily identify from the log which rule matched.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Unfortunately VS version 4.02b did not solve my problem. Programs freeze after running VS. Version 3.59 works fine, therefore I don't know what else I could change.
For the record, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and Sandboxie, HitmanPro Alert, Zemana AntiMalware and Bitdefender.
The most frequent freeze happens after browsing with Opera (sandboxed) and then trying to return to Directory Opus (file manager program).

Currently I reverted to v. 3.59b after unsuccessfully trying out v. 4.02b.

Please note that I don't have any problem with the registration of the program.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Here is 4.02… I think most of the major bugs are fixed, but if not, please let me know.
[...]
BTW, the first page of the installer says it is VS 4.01b… just ignore that, I will fix that next time… it is correct everywhere else.
In the Apps and Features of Windows 10 Pro Settings the uninstall list of programs shows VS 4.02b as v. 4.01b.

P

plat1098

VS exe is moooovin' on up. Only task manager is open, not VS interface or anything else. Launching then closing VS didn't do anything. A restart may fix it but I kinda find it amusing at the moment, lol. Actually, a closer look shows two VS services and no VS exe. Hmmmm.
vs in tm.png

Edit: yes, restarting machine put VS exe back in its rightful place. I created a rule very recently via the Rules Wizard based on VS blocking an exe I knew was benign. Perhaps a connection? Looks like another Windows-based glitch, right? Ending a program normally makes it leave the "Apps" section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: askmark

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Please see post 609.
A clean install doesn't make a difference in my case (wasn't needed from 3.59 to 4.02).
Doesn't start after a reboot and have to do the reg tweak.

And after another reboot I was asked to register again and registration failed.

So back to 3.59 it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: askmark
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.