Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

dwayne22

Level 1
Verified
Jul 4, 2018
Express VPN and Purevpn are the best and most trusted ones, I have used both of them and they worked almost with everything from streaming to gaming. Specially PureVPN is Still my favorite because of its Large range of VPN Servers from 140 different countries, which make me able to access the internet from 140 different countries.

Reactions: Nevi and Stopspying

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
Express VPN and Purevpn are the best and most trusted ones, I have used both of them and they worked almost with everything from streaming to gaming. Specially PureVPN is Still my favorite because of its Large range of VPN Servers from 140 different countries, which make me able to access the internet from 140 different countries.
PureVPN do keep logs

Reactions: Andrew999

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
I would recommend NordVPN: over 5000 servers to choose from, good speeds, maybe the Linux client isn't the prettiest, but they support 6 devices and have a strict zero log policy. There's a new deal going on: 66% off for 2 years. Maybe it will be of use to someone.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
PureVPN keep logs & needs to be avoided immediately.

ExpressVPN use 'Virtual' Location servers

-----
I'm not gonna recommend just 1 product that I use, as thats the natural trap that users on forums always seem to fall for: "I use this, its the best, all the rest are rubbish" :)

I have a personal top 5 that I would recommend though (in no particular order) :p

Mullvad
Private Internet Access
Air VPN
TorGuard
Nord VPN

Last edited:

MichealHeitz

Apr 13, 2018
Being a user of ExpressVPN I would definitely recommend it and after that I would suggest using NordVPN..... if there is a comparison b/w ExpressVPN vs NordVPN ...... I would surely recommend ExpresVPN..

Reactions: Nevi

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Recently I've used WIndscribe and ProtonVPN. I used to use Cyberghost but they had some issues that I wasn't happy with so I stopped using them. Proton seems pretty secure to me, the connection dropped off a few times but the 'killswitch' seemed to kick in right away and avoid any leaking. Windscribe seems very reliable to me, I know some people have issues with them, but I can say that has not been my experience. From the list of choices I'd keep away from HideMy Ass and OkayFreedom, they've either been exposed as not being entirely truthful about their service or can't keep a good connection from my trials with them.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
IMHO Windscribe for the money is first rate, as a Netflix watcher it has never failed one connecting to the USA server, & I've had it on for many 100s of hours. If you are feeling rich ExpressVPN if first rate & I use it on my Android TV & can use the Canadian server. For none Netflix again IMHO, Perfect Privacy wipes the floor with every other VPN. You can use it with multi hops, it's quite brilliant & can be used on many devices, no good for Netflix though. :D

Reactions: Stopspying

Thread author
The thing about VPNs is one needs to research what kind of support they will receive for what they pay. The "highly rated" boutique VPNs such as IVPN or Mullvad don't provide support on a per-user basis. The provided support is essentially limited to account problems. When you get into the technical problems, there is no willingness on the part of the vendor to dig deep and diagnose problems. Which I find curious because they are willing to take anyone's money who comes along. They don't openly state that technical support is quite limited... essentially it is self-help via their guides. For example, IVPN has a single person for world-wide support. Run into a technical issue you are on your own. The VPN industry argues that what they are providing is only the VPN servers. And that is just their way of circumventing their support responsbilities. Most of them provide a custom client, and that client is software. Software needs support.

When you buy a software or IT service, what you are really paying for is the support.

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018
I am using Proton VPN and really like the speed and secure conncect option, and a lot servers. Also PIA VPN is a solid VPN provider, with good speed.

Cyberghost VPN i stop using because the speed is terrible.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I definitely suggest the new VPN service which comes and spread in the market i.e Surfshark. Amazing and super fast speed.
I hope no one is silly enough to click on that link. I wouldn't want you to get any affiliate revenue from your spamming.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm still using Private Internet Access on my PC and Android phone. It's fast, secure and I've never had one single bug. I don't use VPN's to unblock netflix. Whilst I think Netflix should allow all content to be shown I also think that VPN's advertising that their product unlocks streaming sites etc is equivalent to torrenting movies and TV shows not that I see anything wrong with that if I'm completely honest.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I'm still using Private Internet Access on my PC and Android phone. It's fast, secure and I've never had one single bug. I don't use VPN's to unblock netflix. Whilst I think Netflix should allow all content to be shown I also think that VPN's advertising that their product unlocks streaming sites etc is equivalent to torrenting movies and TV shows not that I see anything wrong with that if I'm completely honest.

I agree. I use PIA. It is the fastest where I live. The only prob I have is some sites such as banking sites don't like some PIA servers (maybe due to the abuse). It is not often, but I've tried a bunch of VPNs. My list would be for ping/speed:

1. PIA
2. Express VPN
3. Nord VPN (a little slow for me, but good support/software).

I have a lifetime license of Windscribe, but the last couple of times I've tried it...it is not up to par with the above. I'll go into a little more detail that might help:

I play WoW (World of Warcraft), here are the pings:

1. PIA: 49 ping
2. Express: 58 ping
3. Nord: 68 ping
4. Windscribe: 88+ ping

Of course this is all dependent on where I live, not you ;)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm been using Windscribe for about a year and like it a lot. I consistently get fast speeds. I usually connect to the local sever with lowest ping (which is the one nearest to me), rather than "Best Location."

There was a brief period where I was unable to access websites hosted in China, but that didn't last long.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.