New Update Windows 11 22H2 closer to release, lands in the Release channel

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
So this makes sense and maybe the reason why i'm not receiving this update

Microsoft has just started the rollout of Windows 11 2022 Update, and just like before, the company is using a phased approach to make sure it limits the impact last-minute bugs have on devices out there.

The company has already confirmed that it discovered a glitch in the new update, and this time, it’s related to the Intel drivers that are available on certain devices.

“Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of drivers for Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) on Intel 11th Gen Core processors and Windows 11,” Microsoft explains in a tech support document.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So this makes sense and maybe the reason why i'm not receiving this update

Microsoft has just started the rollout of Windows 11 2022 Update, and just like before, the company is using a phased approach to make sure it limits the impact last-minute bugs have on devices out there.

The company has already confirmed that it discovered a glitch in the new update, and this time, it’s related to the Intel drivers that are available on certain devices.

“Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of drivers for Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) on Intel 11th Gen Core processors and Windows 11,” Microsoft explains in a tech support document.
I'm on Intel 10th Gen and still not receiving the update as of this posting

:rolleyes:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Another issue for some users with NVIDIA graphics processors running Windows 11:

The Windows 11 22H2 feature update released earlier this week is reportedly causing gaming performance issues on systems with NVIDIA GPUs.

As detailed in reports shared across several online platforms and on Microsoft's online community, some users experience stuttering and massive lag while playing games due to what looks like significant drops in CPU usage after installing the Windows 11 2022 Update.

"I have been experiencing insane stuttering in games. My CPU usage in games have dropped down significantly, in some from 80% to 5%. Just went back to the last update and my in game experience is much better," one Reddit user said.

Anecdotally, after rolling back the update, the gaming performance issues will disappear, according to reports from multiple affected users.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Here is the fix for Windows 11 2022 Update error 0x800f0806​

The error is thrown by the cumulative update KB5017321, which Windows 11 attempts to install via Windows Updates. It is a download error, but it is unclear why downloads are blocked with the error code on some systems but not on others.

According to the reports, the error is only thrown on inplace upgrades, but not when the update is installed using other ways.

The solution, therefore, is to pick one of the following update options instead to resolve the update error:
  1. The cumulative update KB5017321 is hosted on the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Download the cumulative update for the correct Windows 11 version and run it after it has been downloaded. The download has a size between 223 and 302 Megabytes, depending on the operating system version.
  2. Download and run the Windows 11 Installation Assistant. It is an official Microsoft program to update to the latest version of the Windows 11 operating system. Note that it requires installing and running Microsoft's PC Health app to check for compatibility. Once that is out of the way, you may hit the refresh button in the Windows 11 Installation Assistant program window to start the update to the Windows 11 2022 Update.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
As mentioned by others maybe waiting a while which goes against my psyche is a realistic idea?
If you are wise and patient, but I'm not that wise and patient!

1. I downloaded the ISO. Disabled my antivirus and made an image with Macrium.
2. I executed the ISO and clicked on " Change how setup downloads updates" and chose the "Not right now" option.
Reason: at first, I had left this option enabled. At the end of the installation, I checked Windows Update, and it told me that 22H2 couldn't be installed. So with that option disabled, 22H2 installed properly.
3. Windows Update could not download KB50117321. I had to manually download it. After a few restarts, Windows Updates told me, in the historic section, that everything was fine. Wow!
4. I made an image of my new setup.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you are wise and patient, but I'm not that wise and patient!

1. I downloaded the ISO. Disabled my antivirus and made an image with Macrium.
2. I executed the ISO and clicked on " Change how setup downloads updates" and chose the "Not right now" option.
Reason: at first, I had left this option enabled. At the end of the installation, I checked Windows Update, and it told me that 22H2 couldn't be installed. So with that option disabled, 22H2 installed properly.
3. Windows Update could not download KB50117321. I had to manually download it. After a few restarts, Windows Updates told me, in the historic section, that everything was fine. Wow!
4. I made an image of my new setup.
Same here :D

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to enable File Explorer tabs in the Windows 11 2022 Update right now​

Microsoft released the Windows 11 2022 Update this week and revealed plans to push the first feature drop in October. Included in the October feature drop is the long awaited support for tabs in the default file manager of the operating system, File Explorer.

file explorer tabs
Word of warning: while we did not notice any issues after enabling File Explorer tabs on a test system, the content should be considered in development. It is not advised to enable it on production machines. In any case, it is advised to create a full system backup to be on the safe side of things.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Same here :D
I did it like that the first time, for reasons unknown there was a major issue, apart from being more unstable that one of my sister-in-laws, I ended up with about 15 driver updates which I didn't ask for & the PC was not running as it should - After much faffing I imaged back to end of August to remove any issues that were already here. I updated all & ran the 22H2 update from USB & so far all is well. I have of course saved July/August images if things go odd but this time it's running really well. :eek::eek:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
MsMpEng.exe (Microsoft Defender file - Antimalware Service Executable) seems to be always enabled/running in my machine with 22H2 Update even with a third party antivirus installed, can anyone confirm it?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
MsMpEng.exe (Microsoft Defender file - Antimalware Service Executable) seems to be always enabled/running in my machine with 22H2 Update even with a third party antivirus installed, can anyone confirm it?
Yeah, this is normal. I was in 22H2 Insider builds for a while, and it's been like this for a long timr. So this is normal behavior. It's always running now, even though it doesn't use any system resources excluding ram. But I think by default it updates the signature once a day. Correct me if I'm wrong about this info.
If you're bothered by it, then uninstall your third-party AV, turn off Defender's Tamper Protection and use Defender Control to disable the service. You'll also lose the Windows Security Icon. You can use Defende Control after installing third-party AV also but it works when Tamper Protection is off and Tamper Protection can not be turned off when a third-party AV is installed. So one way or another you have turn it off to use Defender Control.
There could be other extreme methods also but doing it like this seems safe enough to me. Otherwise, ignore the running process. MS has probably done it to make it harder to disable Defender's service.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yeah, this is normal. I was in 22H2 Insider builds for a while, and it's been like this for a long timr. So this is normal behavior. It's always running now, even though it doesn't use any system resources. But I think by default it updates the signature once a day. Correct me if I'm wrong about this info.
If you're bothered by it, then uninstall your third-party AV, turn off Defender's Tamper Protection and use Defender Control to disable the service. You'll also lose the Windows Security Icon. You can use Defende Control after installing third-party AV also but it works when Tamper Protection is off and Tamper Protection can not be turned off when a third-party AV is installed. So one way or another you have turn it off to use Defender Control.
There could be other extreme methods also but doing it like this seems safe enough to me. Otherwise, ignore the running process. MS has probably done it to make it harder to disable Defender's service.

I see, thanks for you reply, I thought it was by design because it wasnt using any system resources save by RAM, but I wanted to be sure that it wasnt a bug "created" when Windows did update.

I will leave as it is, it isnt causing any issue ...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I see, thanks for you reply, I thought it was by design because it wasnt using any system resources save by RAM, but I wanted to be sure that it wasnt a bug "created" when Windows did update.

I will leave as it is, it isnt causing any issue ...
Right, yeah, it does use a bit of ram. Forgot to add it initially. Yes, it's probably better to leave it alone.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another issue for some users with NVIDIA graphics processors running Windows 11:

Thankfully, a fix is already rolling out and it’s available in beta from Nvidia’s website. Here’s the full changelog of the update:
  • Fixed issues with the in-game overlay for games such as Farming Simulator 22, Cyberpunk 2077, PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS, and F1 2021.
  • Fixed issues with desktop notification for rewards.
  • Fixed an issue where Alt+F12 hotkey was unusable in other apps.
  • Fixed an issue where performance overlay resets to Basic after a system reboot or starting.
  • Fixed an issue where the system restarts automatically after self-update.
It goes without saying that this is a nasty bug for early adopters of Windows 11 22H2 and it’s gamers who are mostly going to suffer here. Performance could also be lower in video editing apps, but a drop of just a few percent in apps won’t be noticeable.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Nvidia releases emergency GeForce Experience update to fix Windows 11 22H2 issues
As reports had suggested, Microsoft released Windows 11 version 22H2 to the general availability channel on September 20. You can read all about the new exciting stuff in these articles here. A few days before that, some users received the 2022 feature update early with new devices. The machines were shipping with build 22621.521 (KB5017321) which was indeed the 22H2 update as confirmed later by Microsoft.

However, like it's usually the case, the new update is not without its issues though. Previously, we reported about a problem related to updating to this new feature update. The update process is failing for many with the error code "0x800f0806". Luckily, there are a couple of fixes available that we have outlined in this article.

For those that managed to update, there were other problems for users who had Nvidia graphics cards in their rigs. There have been reports of unstable framerates and stuttering, and lower than typical CPU usage in games. Nvidia was quick to look into the complaints and confirmed that the issues were an outcome of new graphics debugging tools in Windows 11 22H2 that were accidentally getting triggered.

Earlier today, Nvidia released a beta GeForce Experience (GFE) beta update with version 3.26 that resolves the problems. The company has outlined two ways in which users can update to this version of GFE. It can either be done manually by downloading and installing it from the link below, or by enabling the "experimental features" option inside the GFE app which will allow the installation of beta updates.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 11 22H2 blocked due to blue screens on some Intel systems​

Microsoft is now blocking the Windows 11 22H2 update from being offered on some systems with Intel Smart Sound Technology (SST) audio drivers.

Redmond also put a safeguard hold in place because this known issue triggers blue screens of death (BSODs) on affected systems.

"Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of drivers for Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) on Intel 11th Gen Core processors and Windows 11," Microsoft said in a Windows Health dashboard update.

"Windows 11 devices with the affected Intel SST driver might receive an error with a blue screen."

Intel SST is an integrated audio DSP (Digital Signal Processor) that enables the company's latest Core and Atom processors to handle audio, voice, and speech interactions without a performance hit.

Microsoft recommends not to manually update affected systems to Windows 11 22H2 using the Media Creation Tool or the 'Update now' button until the problem is addressed and the safeguard is removed.

"The affected driver will be named Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) Audio Controller under System Devices in Device Manager and have the file name IntcAudioBus.sys and a file version of 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152," Microsoft explained.

The same issue is behind a compatibility hold blocking customers from upgrading to Windows 11 21H2 since November 2021.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.