Kaspersky Free Antivirus - Pro's & Con's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
No problem! Thanks for the hashes! :D (I calculated an extra of about 20k) Feel free to mine more for me! :ROFLMAO: I need 10mio for 10gb/month permanently more on my free account. I get 1mio a day. But that is with my phone mining too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::ROFLMAO::X3:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Man, holy cricket, HOW DOES THAT MINING LINK WORK? I just tested it and it mined through my AdGuard nocoin filter, through NoCoin and MinerBlock extensions, and through ScriptSafe.

??????????????????????????????????'

Strange, it is a simple Coinhive script, any extension should block it by now (here it was blocked by uBlock Origin and if disabled, ESET blocked it).

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
- The number of files that can be restored cannot exceed 50 per one encryption process.
Sorry for being late, but this 50 file limit applies to all Kaspersky products, not only Kaspersky Free, according to the documentation.

Example from Kaspersky Internet Security (2019) documentation (Limitations and warnings):
"The number of files that can be restored cannot exceed 50 per one encryption process."

AnonMan

Level 2
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
For those who have an issue with database auto updating, you can try to disable metered connection in kaspersky > setting> additional > networking. There you will find the cost-aware networking... disable that.

Screenshot (66).png

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
As I said in the past in this forum and many times, "System Watcher" is not the panacea, if You get hundred or miles of encrypted files in Your system, I guess and/or probably there is no tool out there than can recover them all in real-time, if the attack comes from a variant using fast encrypting... so here the point is in prevention, and of course as always -> BackUpping... "Application Control" well tweaked should stop most of the attacks, adding manually strong rules to risky folders, etc... but of course, this is not for default settings/average users...

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
KAF is a great free AV substitute
But core component system watcher is missing
Pair with a tool like NVS Armour

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Personally I don't think I could ever recommend Kaspersky Free to anyone. I could only recommend Sophos Home Free or Avast Free w/ Hardened mode set to aggressive.

Even then I don't agree with using an AV, but that my own personal perception on AV's. Others maybe inclined to use one.

~LDogg

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Personally I don't think I could ever recommend Kaspersky Free to anyone. I could only recommend Sophos Home Free or Avast Free w/ Hardened mode set to aggressive.

Even then I don't agree with using an AV, but that my own personal perception on AV's. Others maybe inclined to use one.

~LDogg
Why is that?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Because Avast/Sophos seem to be the more reliable companies out there, they don't bundle PUPs, they're more then likely going to help a home user, less resource hogging, Avast has a great detection rate, Sophos has always been fairly decent web wise. Kaspersky is a fairly new to the ball game of Free AVs. From someone that helps people on a daily basis with laptops, reasons stated above is why I wouldn't recommend them.

~LDogg

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Because Avast/Sophos seem to be the more reliable companies out there, they don't bundle PUPs, they're more then likely going to help a home user, less resource hogging, Avast has a great detection rate, Sophos has always been fairly decent web wise. Kaspersky is a fairly new to the ball game of Free AVs. From someone that helps people on a daily basis with laptops, reasons stated above is why I wouldn't recommend them.

~LDogg
This is what i don't agree with..How can you say a company is reliable,,
i have seen AVAST bundelled with other softwares as a PUP..that doesnt mean i dislike avast for the matter of fact,,in fact a lot of family members trust it
In 2011, Utimaco Safeware AG (acquired by Sophos in 2008-9) were accused of supplying data monitoring and tracking software to partners that have sold to governments such as Syria..what would you say about this?
Treat them as service providers nothing more than a give & take policy thats it!

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Looks like I didn't describe exactly what I mean't by reliable. I mean't their software, not the company relating to the products. Kaspersky is new to te free AV market, I don't think it's quite there yet with it's competitors. I was more on about detections, CPU usage et al.

You're also entitled to your opinion too. Thanks for replying.

~LDogg

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.