KAV\KIS\KTS\KFA\KS\KSOS: 21.1.10.361 MR1 beta

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I guess I understand the HTTPS scanning, but is it necessary if a basic web filter blocks most known malicious pages? Kaspersky is tops at adding bad pages, but is that because their filter detected them and reports home?
I think it's not fully necessary but an additional layer of protection as it helps scanning the whole content of the webpage. So in case thinks like a modified malicious javascript of a page that collects your credentials and upload it to their server and etc other type of threats may only be detected if the antivirus was MITMing/scanning HTTPS content. But it does cost the user with a slight delay in page loading and maybe other vulnerabilities too if not properly implemented.
Please explain the difference between HTTPS scanning and basic web filter. I suppose I don't have the answer myself.
Like blackice said above, one is ip/host based detection and another is decrypting the HTTPS content and scan it. All paid AVs already does the first one but some also do the latter.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.