Which is the best Antivirus for Real-Time protection (Heuristic / Behaviour)?

I wish @Jack would put a stop to these threads, they are just above spam threads in my opinion, they appear about every 60 to 90 days. We aught to have enough info and wisdom archived here that if the inquisitive do their homework the answers they seek are here already without this type of "Opinion" thread. JMHO

They're one of the most popular types of threads, but at the same time one of the most problematic.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I wish @Jack would put a stop to these threads, they are just above spam threads in my opinion, they appear about every 60 to 90 days. We aught to have enough info and wisdom archived here that if the inquisitive do their homework the answers they seek are here already without this type of "Opinion" thread. JMHO
Amen to that brother. ;)

Perhaps 2 in 100 will actually search the MT forums for specific infos. That's too bad as there is a wealth of infos already here.

Staff tries to get people who reply to threads to give specific, meaningful answers - like answer the actual question being asked - but how are they going to police every single post in a thread - especially those that "move fast" ?

Personally, I think these "What is best AV ?" or "What is best this or that ?" threads do more to misinform people than to educate them - because the vast majority of replies are petty "recommendations" of the poster's AV of choice as opposed to at least a somewhat detailed informative reply based upon actual testing and\or experience.

And I can talk about this topic as a person that knows - because at one time I was one of those people that posted polls "What is better - this or that ?" I learned doing so just isn't very informative nor productive as, invariably, the end result is a rabble mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Heuristics and Behavior Protection is something that majority of companies focused thoroughly however still not a sole solution as the typical protection goes on interaction with the users upon a file is detected. (HIPS/ Anti-exe/whitelisting)

Behavior Protection nowadays become a hybrid which definitely improve to detect unusual cases, but sometimes it needs complement to ensure efficient detection.

Heuristics is already an obsolete cause it failed momentarily from polymorphic threats.

Although I cannot say which is the best but companies from F-Secure, Gdata, Kaspersky, and Emsisoft recognized in maintaining the efficiency of the product.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Perhaps 2 in 100 will actually search the MT forums for specific infos. That's too bad as there is a wealth of infos already here.
This is the last I will say on it I promise, but Jeff brings up a good point, a very important one that cuts to the
heart of what MT is all about.
If anyone actually reads the stuff posted about MalwareTips, part of it's goal is to teach users how to find this info
so they wont be in the dark and relying on Joe Schmo, to encourage self reliance. Threads like this undo that and in
no way encourage that, that's why I said what I did up there about threads like this. In the future I will no longer reply
to threads of this nature, and if all of us do that there will be less of them over time without having Jack or a mod step
in burdening their already heavy work load. Or instead of replying in the traditional way, linking them to the already existing
100+ threads that contain this very info. JMHO

R

Rodney74

This is the last I will say on it I promise, but Jeff brings up a good point, a very important one that cuts to the
heart of what MT is all about.
If anyone actually reads the stuff posted about MalwareTips, part of it's goal is to teach users how to find this info
so they wont be in the dark and relying on Joe Schmo, to encourage self reliance. Threads like this undo that and in
no way encourage that, that's why I said what I did up there about threads like this. In the future I will no longer reply
to threads of this nature, and if all of us do that there will be less of them over time without having Jack or a mod step
in burdening their already heavy work load. Or instead of replying in the traditional way, linking them to the already existing
100+ threads that contain this very info. JMHO

I understand your point and agree....But I see a couple exceptions.

One would be someone is so desperate for advice, and they have been compromised and need help right away.

Number Two would be if the "what's the best super duper" post is a year or more old then a member might want everyone's opinion, since technology changes so quickly.

Now I know this doesn't ease the pain for the mature, knowledgeable, experienced members here like C.G, but that is a price you guys pay .

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now I know this doesn't ease the pain for the mature, knowledgeable, experienced members here like C.G, but that is a price you guys pay .
See, ya know the hell of it is, I didn't come here "all knowledgeable" and you will not
find one of these threads posted by me either. I got there by searching, reading and
"Doing my homework" ;)
I actually used this place for what Jack intended it for.

Reactions: russ0408 and AtlBo
R

Rodney74

Not upset in the least, it's just sad to me to see something so valuable being used in this manner.

Look I don't think anything is lost, this is one of my most FAV sites, and I appreciate all the hard work you guys do, and have done...

Everyone has their limitations, some people like myself don't read and comprehend well, I am a hands on guy, take it apart and put it back together several times and I've got it down, thus I need to be able to ask questions.

Others absorb what they read and can do it without help.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can't tell you how many times before I learned how to use the site, that I used to PM Jack for directions on where stuff was.
There's a ##### load of knowledge here, and none of it is in threads like this.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Look I don't think anything is lost, this is one of my most FAV sites, and I appreciate all the hard work you guys do, and have done...

Everyone has their limitations, some people like myself don't read and comprehend well, I am a hands on guy, take it apart and put it back together several times and I've got it down, thus I need to be able to ask questions.

Others absorb what they read and can do it without help.
Ok, it's not the asking of questions, lets be honest because you can read and understand the reply right :rolleyes:
Some are just too lazy to do the leg work and go searching, admit it, you basically did up there ;)
Just calling it like I see it, no offense ;)

Reactions: AtlBo
R

Rodney74

I can't tell you how many times before I learned how to use the site, that I used to PM Jack for directions on where stuff was.
There's a ##### load of knowledge here, and none of it is in threads like this.

Yea but without this thread you would miss out on the chance to converse back and forth with me...lol What a loss that would be...lol

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26
R

Rodney74

Ok, it's not the asking of questions, lets be honest because you can read and understand the reply right :rolleyes:
Some are just too lazy to do the leg work and go searching, admit it, you basically did up there ;)
Just calling it like I see it, no offense ;)

Well I'm not so sure: here is why:

One day my wife wanted to say something to me without the kids knowing what she said, so she spelt the words to me....

She saw the confusion on my face as I visualized the letters in my mind "CAR"....

So she says "For God's sake Rod, I'm going out to the car...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Well I'm not so sure: here is why:

One day my wife wanted to say something to me without the kids knowing what she said, so she spelt the words to me....

She saw the confusion on my face as I visualized the letters in my mind "CAR"....

So she says "For God's sake Rod, I'm going out to the car...
Ahhh that's nothing some ridlin and self discipline wont cure ;)

Reactions: AtlBo

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I vote for Eset because I have been using it for a year and I have no trouble with it, besides, Eset also added MBAM Premium and VS.
Of course there are more good security programs, I use such a set.
Everybody chooses the program that fits him and what equipment he has

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.