LastPass
*Backup Browser= Edge
AdGuard DNS
AdGuagd Premium
Ublock
LastPass
Maintenance tools
Kerish Dr. (Premium)
Ccleaner (Lifetime) (browser cleaning only)
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Home (Premium) Cloning
System recovery
Reflect Home (Premium)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I heard about Elementary, have you tried it ?
If so what was your impression ?
:::EDIT:::
I went to look : https://elementary.io/
I would pay for that, that is a very attractive OS.
Why did you have to show me that :p
I am going to have to buy another HDD, I want Elementary, and with another Seagate Barracuda I could keep Windows, Mint, and Elementary.
Thanks @xCharbz

@ZeroDay on linux my battery depletes faster ^^
Yeah, I did notice that when I put it on a friends laptop, the battery drained a lot faster.

D

Deleted member 178

This is why Linux will never be a proper Average Joe OS, i will stay a geek and industrial OS, whatever their fans may say.
Average Joe won't bother type sudos and other command line for every task he may needs; he won't bother tweaking his distros to apply drivers and then realize that some features of his hardware won't work properly,

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Quick question if you have time. Want to get WAR for relatives which lets say will click yes on everything it appears in front of them and they can't whitelist stuff on their own if an alert doesn't appear .
Will it be a good idea protection and usability wise. I would have tested it on my own but tbh i want to grab it now that it's on sale if it's worth it and i don't know if i will have enough time to figure it out on my own.
So to make it simple, does WAR give alerts or it will decide good or bad on it's own? Also how often does it block Chrome,Office,Adobe reader,Skype updates and general normal everyday applications if it even does that?

Thanks and if you don't have time don't worry about it. Hopefully i will have time to test it a bit.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Quick question if you have time. Want to get WAR for relatives which lets say will click yes on everything it appears in front of them and they can't whitelist stuff on their own if an alert doesn't appear .
Will it be a good idea protection and usability wise. I would have tested it on my own but tbh i want to grab it now that it's on sale if it's worth it and i don't know if i will have enough time to figure it out on my own.
So to make it simple, does WAR give alerts or it will decide good or bad on it's own? Also how often does it block Chrome,Office,Adobe reader,Skype updates and general normal everyday applications if it even does that?

Thanks and if you don't have time don't worry about it. Hopefully i will have time to test it a bit.
It will decide on its own brother, and its easy to allow and or deny, very easy.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
This is why Linux will never be a proper Average Joe OS, i will stay a geek and industrial OS, whatever their fans may say.
Average Joe won't bother type sudos and other command line for every task he may needs; he won't bother tweaking his distros to apply drivers and then realize that some features of his hardware won't work properly,
The Average Joe doesn't need to use the command line on Mint if he got a properly prepared system (like how they get Windows), unless some things mess up later which happens a lot in Windows too and requires the same amount of work. But M$ fans love to keep Linux in a box of complications and intimidations.

D

Deleted member 178

The Average Joe doesn't need to use the command line on Mint if he got a properly prepared system (like how they get Windows), unless some things mess up later which happens a lot in Windows too and requires the same amount of work. But M$ fans love to keep Linux in a box of complications and intimidations.

I used all major (and even complex) distros for a while each , and no, Linux isn't user-friendly as Windows is. And im not the only one saying.

Linux's average user is already more computer-skilled than an average MS Windows user. Now if the Average Joe Windows users is trained properly he can find his way on Linux, but the learning time is higher than Windows.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
I used all major (and even complex) distros for a while each , and no, Linux isn't user-friendly as Windows is. And im not the only one saying.

Linux's average user is already more computer-skilled than an average MS Windows user. Now if the Average Joe Windows users is trained properly he can find his way on Linux, but the learning time is higher than Windows.
The newest versions of Mint are very user-friendly, yes, they are different then Windows which we all got used to and had decades to learn, but Mint's learning curve is really not as intimidating as you want it to be, you don't have to be computer savvy to use Mint.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My First SS of Elementary (Loki) using Shutter :)
SS1.png

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Some small changes today,
Added LastPass to both browsers
Added to Vivaldi: AdGuard & Avast Plugins
To be honest the browser is the weakest link
in Linux based systems it seems. I have FF
and Vivaldi on lock down a firewall and not
much else. I agree it's a learning curve but the
freedom is well worth it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Had to fix my gaming HDD, the Win10 drive, somehow I messed up the boot files :(
But hey it's all good, I needed a fresh install of win10 seeing I had not done a "fresh"
in over a year. I got it installed this AM, and finished tweaking it about noon. ;)
Now both of my OS's are fresh and healthy, good god I am going to feel lost, or
have to break something lol.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Ok, I have reconfigured my Windows setup. I borked my Linux drive in the transition from
Elementary OS to Mint. I have to reformat and start all over. I will try to get er done this
weekend. For now I am on my Windows HDD so I gave it a new gift.
Added: DeepArmor (Beta)
Removed: Windows Defender (Disabled)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Ok, I have reconfigured my Windows setup. I borked my Linux drive in the transition from
Elementary OS to Mint. I have to reformat and start all over. I will try to get er done this
I see that DeepArmor is like VAi and Cylance so i also requested a backup to try it. Any info on the product/company because it's the first time i see this. Where did you find this small gold?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I see that DeepArmor is like VAi and Cylance so i also requested a backup to try it. Any info on the product/company because it's the first time i see this. Where did you find this small gold?
Howdy SHvFI,
Found it here: A Cognitive Approach to Anti-malware - SparkCognition Inc
They say just a few weeks, it's more like 4 to 6 weeks.
If you read this: DeepArmor and The Future of Cyber - SparkCognition Inc
It would appear that it will be a free product, or at least have a free version, but after reading that i am thinking
that it will be a free product. Don't even know the thing is there, it's lite and quiet.
I would sign up, then email them that you are a part of this community and are interested in testing it.
They may move a little faster ;)
PS: nothing against my pal Dan, but I dont think VooDoo's AI is this complex

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@SHvFI
I also follow Spark Cognition on Twitter, have for some time now.
They seem a solid company with clear goals and some good funding.
I think unlike Cylance, Spark will be more on the "User Friendly" side of things
and less snob'ish . The team is quick and knowledgeable.
Here is a little bit about Spark:
1> Home - SparkCognition Inc
2> Blog - SparkCognition Inc

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@SHvFI
I got it to trigger on the USB creator tool untbootin, here check it out :p
View attachment 119000

It for sure does not like Unetnootin lol
Nice. Will try as soon as they give me the file and if they play nice i should make them a gui because the one they have is made in paint by a colorblind kid.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Howdy SHvFI,
Found it here: A Cognitive Approach to Anti-malware - SparkCognition Inc
They say just a few weeks, it's more like 4 to 6 weeks.
If you read this: DeepArmor and The Future of Cyber - SparkCognition Inc
It would appear that it will be a free product, or at least have a free version, but after reading that i am thinking
that it will be a free product. Don't even know the thing is there, it's lite and quiet.
I would sign up, then email them that you are a part of this community and are interested in testing it.
They may move a little faster ;)
PS: nothing against my pal Dan, but I dont think VooDoo's AI is this complex
First time I've heard of this software, thank you _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.