What was your first Anti-Virus/Antispyware program you can remember?

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
We had antivirus on our computer growing up before anybody knew what it was. I think as early as the late 80's. I can't remember what it was called. But the first Antivirus I had on my computer was this one:

mjzTGifISt6u6try2JMU5hw.jpg

kevbo

Level 1
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Norton, way back in 1999/2000. Then to AVG with Spybot Search and Destroy. I think, I didn't really know that much back then. (Kinda like now, I guess. Some things never change.)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Mine was GIANT-AntiSpyware :D

imgGiant%20AntiSpyware1.jpg

It looks like some rogue Antivirus but it was one of the better GUI's in those days :)

Giant AntiSpyware was owned by two guys that had a partnership, one sold his half to Microsoft which first became Windows Defender then Microsoft Security Essentials. The same engine is still used today on Windows 8 Windows Defender of coarse it is updated.

The other guy sold his half to Sunbelt which became CounterSpy then VIPRE, it is still the same engine but also updated.

After the deal was done both Microsoft and Sunbelt shared the same exact database for a year before going their separate ways.

etrust_antivirus.gif

My first AV was eTrust Antivirus on Windows 95 long before CA bought them out. Then I used Norton, McAfee and TrendMicro, back in those days you didn't have much options. There were no free AV's available back then. Around 2000 Nod32 came out and I stayed with it for awhile because it didn't slow down my systems like the others did and it was cheaper.

Thanks. :D

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Aidstest
Aidstest.png
First Soviet program antivirus. It is created in 1988 when one of computers of the Main computer center of the State Planning Committee of the USSR was infected with the virus Vienna-648. In due time — one of the most known in the USSR and Russia domestic software products.
In the late nineties Aidstest was replaced with Doctor Web'ом. Over Aidstest the wide circulation at that time the polymorphic viruses which are completely changing the code at each infection was the main cause of termination of work. As in similar viruses it was impossible to allocate a constant signature, Aidstest a priori couldn't struggle with them, while Doctor Web antivirus as supported by JSC Dialognauka, I coped with this task. It led to that development of Aidstest was recognized unpromising, and his founder was connected to development of an antivirus of Doctor Web.

absolution

Apr 25, 2013
If I well remember my first AV was McAfee VirusScan Professional 6, Lavasoft (Ad-aware 6) as spyware and ZoneAlarm 2.6 my firewall

Reactions: Burrito

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.