What was your first Anti-Virus/Antispyware program you can remember?

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
F-PROT Antivirus is first antivirus that i used. It was 1991 i think. I was just a little kid. Then the market was very limited. I remember that they were F-PROT, Norton, McAfee, NOD on Yugoslavian market...actually in the professional institutions. A couple of times F-PROT detected DOS directed virus. My dad told me that he used Norton. He also told me that many times Norton saved his work-his job.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First AV is Norton (2004 version), until the time change from McAfee and AVG.

Always ignore those yellow/red alerts because of no internet connection to update the database and subscription expirers. :))

For Anti-spyware its Spybot Search and Destroy where that time is a very good product, classic interface but effective.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I can remember or used?

A list of some software I remember using;
- Ad-Aware 1.05/6 SE
- Ewido Anti-Spyware
- Spybot S&D 1.4 (I think)
- Yahoo Anti-Spy

Yeah, I used Ewido. And at the time, it was really good. Very disappointing when the "lifetime licenses" went 'poof' --- and they were gone.
And I used Yahoo Anti-Spy too..... and I never would have remembered that until just reminded.

And Dr. Solomon's. No one really remembers 'the good doctor' anymore. I barely remember Dr. Solomon's anymore..

1566604617073.png

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Norton and Panda trials. It was late 90s.
Didn't wanna purchase a license, so I tried "alternative" ways to make them work ;)
Since I didn't succeed, I tried AVG free and when I got a virus, I used Superantispyware to get rid of it :D

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Norton For Years, I remember going out to local office max, each year and buying a newer copy if I couldn't afford the renew price, Then tried Windows Live One Care in 2005, (bad idea) badly infected my system then probably my own fault, then got recommendation after everything was back to normal to junk Norton/Mcaffee for 3 months, then got recommendation to drop Mcafee for Avast Free

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
RAV Antivirus - the year 2000
1566661876526.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.